Sunday, February 11, 2007

This Past Week

In the last week or so:

We had our Sing For Your Supper event at home. It was hard work but fun and cemented friendships in the worship team.

Jamie worked a week of nights and was On Call the rest of the time. This is always tiring for us both.

We had our Keepers of the Faith Awards Evening. It went well and the kids enjoyed themselves. It was a lot of organising and work too, though.

We had our Big Day of Sports which involves lots of driving and hassles as I sorted out various problems at the sports centre with instructors and parents and money and waiting lists etc.

Jamie went to visit 2 other local churches to observe the music they have. This is in his quest to improve as worship leader for our church and as he thinks about putting this new band together.

I organised an art workshop for secondary age kids, then it snowed and the whole country came to a complete standstill, so I had to cancel the workshop and then re-arrange it for another day.

A very kind friend blessed us with a second-hand computer, monitor, keyboard etc for the kids. They think it is only for games but actually, I plan to make them do school work on it too! Right now, Jack is upstairs killing Orks with his mouse.

We led a really good worship session with some terrific songs last Sunday. Everything seemed to click last week. We played, sang well. Jamie did a good job leading prayers and encouraging some different worship activities. The people entered into worship and we all felt that God had blessed our efforts.

Grace went to a new youth Bible study group at the Oxford city church and the kids her age crowded round her to welcome her and encourage her. She was so happy. What a difference to our small town church where they ignore her in their little cliques. We are praying this works out for her.

I made buttermilk! I am unutterably pleased with myself about that! I used a small amount of cultured buttermilk and added fresh milk, leaving it out overnight and lo and behold, in the morning I had a whole jug of it. I've done it twice more now and have made some lovely things from it including pancakes today. Thank Hillbillyhousewife.com for that!

We made lots of snowballs and a couple of snowmen.

Jack improved a lot on his asymetric bars work at gymnastics!

Jamie went to a men's breakfast.

I cooked ALL DAY yesterday. I made
a nutloaf,
a turkey meatloaf
2 soda breads
2 teabreads
20 buttermilk biscuits
2 herb rice casseroles
a fruit salad
a quorn, mung bean casserole
a spinach casserole
What we didn't eat this weekend went into the freezer.

Jack and Grace both went to their small groups.

I caught up on some emails and did some moderating tasks at the several yahoo groups I moderate. I've been neglecting them lately as I blog now!

We listened to a terrific sermon on Revelations from a member of our congregation who is the baptist equivalent of a bishop. He is the 'regional minister' for the Southern Counties division of the BU. I wish he could preach to us more often but he's very busy.

Beat Jamie twice at Carcassonne. Mind you, he beat me 3 times.

Had a lovely Shabbat meal.

My plans for next week include:

Catching up with my books' business as it's half term.
Finding out what else you can do with buttermilk!
Doing some more personal Bible study.
Making sure the Art workshop goes well!
Planning the next half term's home-ed work.
Contacting the local colleges and make appointments to look around.
Making eye appointments.
Exercising at least twice. (I know, but that would be an improvement on last week's once.)
Renting a DVD version of Richard the 111 for the kids, prior to them going to a Shakespeare workshop.
Doing something special for Valentine's Day, though I know not what.

You know it's always nice to know who is reading my jumbled jottings. Do leave a comment in the comments section occasionally, just so I know, won't you!

14 comments:

Debbie said...

What a productive week! Great job.

Requests, please, what is nutloaf and would you share your herb rice casserole?

Sounds like you have a busy week planned.

Jodi said...

What a busy week you've had and always have. You don't need to say you haven't exercised. BTW I could it as exercising each time I read De'Etta's blog because watching the cursor do sit ups must count for something VBG.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorothy,
I'm from the SHS list and I really enjoy reading your blog. We live in California. My husband has been leading worship at our church for quite a few years. He always enjoys talking to and brainstorming with other worship leaders on ways to improve and how they do things. It would be great if we could meet in person someday! The two husbands could talk music, while we talked about homeschooling! We went to Edinburgh, Scotland and London,England in 2004 and it was so beautiful and interesting. (We were given a trip through my husband's work.) I wish I would have known about you then. I love reading about your life there and your recipes, seeing the interesting sites, etc. Thank you for including them! God bless you! Melanie in CA

Serenata said...

I hope Grace settles in well in her new group. Small towns can be a real problem with the little cliques formed, especially when someone is 'new' to the area. By new I mean someone who wasn't born in the village. I know exactly how this feels and it can be very difficult, especially when a teenager. Another example, my parents had lived in a small village in Buckinghamshire for over six years when the local minster came up to them one day in the street, and said 'Oh you must be the new people'. LOL

Cynthia said...

Hi Dorothy,
MY MY you've been busy! Hey.. let us know when you've done your 2 exercise sessions for the week. You're usually the only one up at dawn thirty when dd and I leave for volleyball practice so if you've exercised by the time I check email tomorrow a.m. you can let me know! If it makes you feel any better I'll be working out at 6:00 am our time! You should be about done by then, huh? Unless you don't do it in the a.m.
I'm up to 6 times a week now, but I started out only a couple of times a week! SO.. YOU CAN DO IT! I find it helpful to think of someone else I know who is probably in the same agony at the same time (LOL).

Kristine said...

You got a LOT of things done this past week, WOW!

I keep putting off eye appts., and I haven't done anything yet for Valentine's Day either.

Romany said...

Debbie, a nutloaf is just a vegie equivalent of a meatloaf. I usually start with a white sauce, add lots of inely chopped sauteed vegies like onion, celery, carrots etc then lost of chopped nuts a couple of eggs and some breadcrumbs if it's too wet and into the oven covered with foil!

Then I have an absurdly grateful vegetarian husband!

Will post the herby rice recipe soon as you're not the first to ask for it.

Dorothy

Romany said...

Hi Melanie!

We dream of going back to California one day. The band dh was in recorded an album there in the 8o's and we were in LA for a few months. We have some very happy memories of it.

I'm glad you popped by and commented!

Dorothy

Romany said...

Serenta, that's awful about your parents!

Dorothy

Romany said...

Queen Bee...GULP!
Now I'm on the spot.{g}

I'll try!
Dorothy

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
So.. did you do it? Did you exercise today?

Kathy in WA said...

Dorothy--sounds like you got a ton of stuff accomplished. I just have to say we're so glad you're back on the SHS loop. We missed you!

How wonderful that Grace had a good time, and was welcomed, at the new group. How often do they meet? Once a week? I was very impressed with all your cooking. Was it for a party (I was a bit confused) or just for you all? Did it take you all day? I haven't done freezer cooking in years. I miss having dishes all ready and prepared, in the freezer waiting for me. I should at least do some breakfast foods. You're an inspiration. :)

Romany said...

Queen Bee,

Yes I did! I managed 40 minutes! It was a video workout and Grace made me do it.

Kathy,
Thanks!
Grace's group meets after evening church once a week. No, I was just cooking for the freezer. It is hard on my ankles, cooking all day. I needed a foot massage that evening! {g}

Dorothy

Anonymous said...

reading, reading, reading . . .
you are doing so much! I'm impressed. My list is more like:
Last week I got out of bed,
I washed a lot of dishes & a lot of clothes,
I refereed about 438 fights,
I tried to beat some schooling into my children's heads,
I lived through co-op Friday morning & collapsed afterwards.