School kids don't get to study lying down now, do they!
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Hey, fancy a cuppa?
Come in! Through the little porch. Ah yes, some Mothering Sunday flowers from church. All the mums received one. Do you like the forsythia out front? I cut it back a little late last year so it's not flowering as well as it could. Come in!
Now we're in the hallway. Let me take your coat. Books everywhere, I know. I'd love to have a whole room for this books business, but I don't think that'll happen until one of the children leaves home!
Grace is just hoovering with her red nose on. Don't mind her! It was Red Nose Day the other day and millions of pounds were raised for Comic Relief. We always enjoy watching the shows on TV that day. The Prime Minister even took part in a comedy sketch. It was hilarious! Embarrassing, but hilarious.
You want to go upstairs to my room and see the new bookshelves? OK. They are from IKEA. Aren't they great? They won't be that empty for long though. Plenty more books downstairs to fill them as soon as they've been processed. We can just about get past them to go into bed!
One of our many unfinished projects. This is the door to the airing cupboard. We're stripping 57 years worth of paint from all the woodwork and will be sanding and repainting at some point. Do you see the chin up bar in the frame of Jack's bedroom door?
And here's Jack studying the World Book on the kids' computer. A kind friend donated an older one for them to use. It has certainly taken the pressure off me and my blogging! And the books work too, of course.
Oh, here's Grace reading in her room. She finished hoovering quickly.
Come back downstairs and try to clear a corner of the dining table to sit and I'll put the kettle on! Ceylon, Darjeeling or Earl Grey tea? No, sorry, I don't do vanilla or anything too fancy. It's just not English. Milk and sugar?
The view from my dining room. It's not that special. It's a small garden which is in desperate need of time and attention. Time which none of us has at the moment, sadly. The housing round here is pretty typical of MOD property. It was all built in the 1950's and sold off as part of the famous Peace Dividend after the end of the Cold War. The houses are plain, basic and built like battleships. They are also larger than average and cheap. Which is exactly what we were going for!
Let me introduce you to our visitor, Betty Puddles. She's a duck from New Hampshire. She's been here for ages but still has not lifted a wing tip to help out. I'm trying to hint that she might wash the dishes occasionally, but she always complains about her feathers getting wet. What sort of duck is that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Oh, Dorothy, I loved the visit to your house! I'd love a cuppa - anything but Earl Grey for me, though, but I will take milk and sugar!
What a lovely lot of books you have! I could spend quite a while browsing your collection!
I do have some questions - what is an "airing cupboard?" Is your house typical for one in the UK? What is an average size home there?
When I was visiting Germany, the homes and how things were done in them was so different than how we do things in the US. I found it so interesting - I tend to ponder the mundane things of life. :^D
Thanks for the tour, Dorothy. You house looks lovely. Bessie especially loved Grace's purple room! One of these days she is dreaming of having a room of her own again and I'm sure it will purple.
I would love, love, love to come and weed your garden for you. I could camp right out in your little garden...I wouldn't mind. Can you tell I've been dreaming of places warm and green.
Great post, Dorothy. I really enjoy seeing pics of your house. Your porch is lovely, as is your yard. Look at all that green grass, too!
I've never heard of Red Nose Day, and I LOVE the lavender in Grace's room too! It seems like a perfect fit for her!
I'd love to pop in for a cuppa!
Lovely tour, Dorothy. It was so nice to "walk" through your home. Definitely tell you are a homeschooler by your books. :) I'd love some Earl Grey w/milk, please. Thanks for the invite.
Thank you so much for the tour of your home! I love your garden...it is sooo green and beautiful. Everything is rather brown here right now. Of course, we do live in the high desert.
Oh...and thank you for the tea! I absolutely adore tea: Earl Grey, Vanilla or otherwise. I take mine with milk and sugar.
Ginger, an airing cupboard is usually located in the upstairs hall (called a landing here) and contains the hot water tank. It is usually nice and warm in there and has shelving above so it's where most people keep their sheets and towels etc, but is also a good place to dry off not quite dry clothing and germinate seeds!
Our house is a 1 bathroom, 3 bedroom, semi-detatched brick-built house and is a very common house-type here. Ours is slightly bigger than most in the South of England, but it is MUCH smaller than the average house in North America.
Debbie, I'd love you to weed my garden too!!!{g} But guess what we woke up to today? SNOW!
Kristine, yes it is a green, green island. I missed that green dampness when I lived in other places.
Kathy, most of those books are for sale. I run a business like Chris's.
Diane, you are welcome. The kettle is always on round here.
I will take you up on your offer one day soon if I may :-)
Loved the tour, thank you for welcoming us into your home.
I loved Grace's room as well and if we ever decorate our bedroom it will be similar colours.
The windows look GREAT (chilly, but great). We also have lots of chilly windows. AND we have a door just like your door only ours has about 75 years of paint on it & the dh has been trying to strip it using non-caustic means for about 7 years. Or maybe 10. Kate's room is the same color as Grace's. My boys' room needs to be repainted the color of dirt because that's more their style & manner. White is SO not working for them. We also have a big blooming forsythia and LOTS of books & bookshevles but I think you've got us beat on that one! What fun to see so much - I was thinking this morning maybe we needed a blog challenge for everyone to show what's the view from their kitchen sink (mine is deadly dull).
I left a comment here the other day but some of mine have not been going through lately on blogs so I checked back. Anyway I thought your house looked very nice and apologized that Betty is not helping out more. LOL
Loved the tour of your home. I would so love to share a cup of tea with you. If I ever make it back to England I promise I will call you!!!!
Post a Comment