Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mothering Sunday

Today is Mothering Sunday in the UK. Not to be confused with Mother's Day, an American tradition, with a different origin and a different date. Except, more people call it Mother's Day here now than they used to. So that *is* confusing, isn't it? {g}

Its history, like that of Boxing Day, is somewhat shrouded the mists of several centuries, but most sources (including our pastor today) seem to agree that it began in the 16th Century. Originally, it was the practice for all who had moved away to work in the towns to return to their home church or 'mother church' on the fourth Sunday in Lent, also known as Refreshment Sunday as the rules for Lent were supposedly relaxed somewhat on that day.

Later, as more and more girls and young women were drafted into domestic service they, also being allowed to return home that day, would pick posies of flowers to present to their mothers, whom they would, presumably, see at their mother church that day. Can you see the beginnings of the modern day tradition?

Here, on Mothering Sunday, it's traditional to give flowers to Mum and to give MUM the day off cooking and cleaning. I had breakfast in bed for the first time in, well, ever, actually! Jamie and the children prepared a lovely tray of freshly squeezed orange juice, tea, strawberries, croissants and boiled eggs. They brought me cards and chocolates too. I've had a wonderful day so far, with my feet up, lying on the sofa since church.

I've been listening to the CD of a sermon I missed recently. The gentleman is a mathematics professor at Oxford and is from Northern Ireland. It was a good sermon, but I was so tired I fell asleep, only to be woken when he raised his voice in rousing fervour at one point. I dreamed I was being shouted at by Ian Paisley. A nightmare indeed!

I needed the rest and the pampering as I've been so tired lately, that I've been going to bed in tears most nights. Busy-ness, stress and tiredness makes me cry. I wish it didn't but there you are. I'm getting very fed up feeling this way. And having to cry in secret. This is a problem for me because crying helps me to feel like I can cope. But I can't cry in front of the children so often because I don't want to worry them, so I have to sneak off and blub in the loo.

But today has been like a little holiday. If only all Sundays could be like this...but that's being greedy.
Long Live Mothering Sunday!

9 comments:

The Bookworm said...

That breakfast looks lovely!

I can relate to the tired. It doesn't make me cry (mostly), but it does make me bad-tempered and ratty :(.

Serenata said...

How lovely Dorothy, your breakfast in bed looks very posh ;-)

You are not alone in your crying when over tired and stressed - I think there are more people out there than we sometimes realise who often cry in private so as not to upset the rest of their family. My thoughts are with you and I hope next week will be less stressful after your wonderful Sunday.

Emily said...

Dorothy, I am so glad that you are on the SHS list . . .if not I might not ever of had a chance to get to know you! I have a great time checkingo out your blog and learning about your customs and traditions.
I am praying for you . .. I pray that the stress you are feeling will leave your body and in its place will be a sweet peace.
I think that crying helps to relieve stress . .. in fact . .. I like to have a good cry once in a while . . I find it very "cleansing"! :-)
You are in my thoughts!

Jodi said...

It wouldn't take my comment the first time but in brief LOL said sorry to hear that you've had sad times lately.

What a nice Mothering Sunday, yes if only...for each Sunday! Interesting to hear the history of this holiday.

Debbie said...

What a lovely holiday. Your breakfast looks scrumptous! What a treat. Our Sunday mornings always seem to rushed to linger over a nice breakfast in bed.

I am just the same way about crying. I get tired, stressed our or nervous and I want to cry and our long dreary winters do not help! Crying is wonderfully cathartic (sp?) for me, but like you I have to go off and cry where the kiddos can't see me.

Hope you get some rest.

Unknown said...

What a lovely breakfast in bed! What is the greeting for Mothering Sunday? From an unknowing Yank, "Happy Mothering, Dorothy!"

Diann said...

What a fun breakfast!

Stress makes me do wierd things sometimes too. Not so much cry, but I do get short in my temper and just want to be alone for a bit.

Diann

Kathy in WA said...

I'm so glad you took a picture of your gorgeous breakfast in bed! Smart girl to have your camera right on hand! I try to convince myself that being spoiled like every week would grow tiring and no longer feel special but I'm not sure I really believe it. LOL!

Cry if you need to! We understand.

Anonymous said...

I learned through my & my sister's post partum difficulties that it's so much easier if you just let the crying out. Sort of like you said with the anxiety attack. I'm in the same physiological club -- being overtired & stressed makes me cry. Really, crying can be a relaxer. Also screaming (but if you scream AT someone, that's often going to be creating problems, ya know?). Crying & screaming done rightly release tension that NEEDS to be released. I try to do my crying in a hot shower. That way the sound is muffled by the water, splotchiness or puffiness in my face is minimized by the water and I know that I need to stop it & get on with my life if I go on having a breakdown until the water turns cool (that'll bring an end to it, for sure).

Feeling like crying is a baby thing or a bad thing just makes you more stressed -- the last thing you need when you're stressed to begin with! Even with the PPD, I got to where I would just say to dh, "I'm going to cry now." And he would just hold me (though he HATES crying with a passion). He's also learned that it's easier to just go through it rather than to kick & scream & fight it.