Last week was the Half Term break. So, we had a week off schoolwork and college and Scouts and Rainbows and small groups etc etc etc! And best of all I didn't have to trek half way across the country on Wednesday for our Sports 'co-op'!
Jack went to the Christians In Sport Conference for 15-19 year olds. (Even though he's only 13.) He was especially asked to participate because *someone* thought he was mature enough. Mmmm, they must be seeing something WE don't too often, but that's good though! {g} It was a for 5 day 'camp'. They played some sport but mainly it was a pretty intensive study of the first 8 chapters of Romans. 'It was hard. Really hard.' I bet it was. He grew because of the experience, though.
Meanwhile, Grace and I were stuck at home without a car for most of the week as Jamie needed it. This was heaven for her! Not having to go anywhere is a special treat for Grace. I cooked and cleaned and ironed and emailed. And still haven't caught up. But hey! At least I'm not quite as far behind as I was! Grace went out for her singing lesson and I sneaked in and got some tips for improving my singing stamina from her teacher.
On Saturday, Jack went to an outdoor laser game place with his small group. He had fun. I prepared for our Shabbat meal and we had a lovely evening in together and watched Fly Away Home. Again.
On Sunday, the 4 of us led a Kid's Praise Party for the children at church. We had learned from last time, improved the format and timings. It went very well. The kids had a good time. My kids enjoyed feeling useful and part of the Family Team. I tell you though, my knees are suffering from all the jumping up and down we did for the singing of the action songs! We had cake left over which found its way into our evening meal.
Jamie went into Oxford to our 'evening church' with Jack. Grace needed to rest after the morning's activities and before college today, so I stayed home with her. Every now and then, this church has a talk from an interesting person on a topic relevant to Christians instead of the usual evening service. The topic last night was Abortion, as it was the 40th anniversary of the 1967 Abortion Act passing through Parliament. Lord David Alton, an ex-MP and now member of the House of Lords was there, in his capacity as veteran campaigner for human rights and against abortion. He spoke and at the end of his talk there were questions from church members. As this church is chock full of research scientists from the university the questions were apparently fascinating and made for a very informative discussion.
Jamie says that Alton likened the issue of abortion to the issue of slavery over 200 years ago in Britain. Even christian slave owners believed it was their right to dispose of their 'property' as they saw fit. People now believe the same about the unborn life within their bodies. Alton also explained how laws/attitudes about abortion inform the culture and debate about end of life issues and all kinds of fields of scientific research. I really have got to get hold of a tape so I can hear the whole discussion. Going to this church is such a privilege. To be treated as adult. To be treated as an intelligent adult at church is wonderful and exciting and tough and challenging.
And this is not the only church in Oxford where intellectual achievement and revival of evangelical Christianity is going hand in hand. The recent debate in Alabama between Oxford Professors Dawkins and Lennox highlights the cosmic struggle going on here right now and how Oxford has an important role to play in that struggle. I think God has big plans for this city!
Well, most of the Big Stressful Events which I've volunteered for these past few months are over. Just one left. A trip I'm organising this week to Bletchley Park, the National Codes Centre. Four workshops, 100 home-educated kids, £500's worth of people's cheques. Really, what could go wrong?{vbg} Please remember my name is Murphy. There is a certain law which comes into operation at crucial times....
But anyway, after that, Jamie and I have a whole month of No Volunteering, No Big Special Events etc before the run up to Christmas. I can't wait until next weekend!
Did someone just say Christmas?
Monday, October 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
The guest speaker sounds awesome, Dorothy! And by the way, my maiden name is Murphy, so I know completely what you mean!
Wow! Your son was busy! Isn't it neat to see the differences in our kids? Some love to go, go, go and some love to stay, stay, stay. Too bad there isn't enough of me to go around.lol
LOL! WOW it'll sure be nice to have a break from all of your volunteer activities and just in time to concentrate on your home and family for the holidays! SOunds like you planned that just right.
Linda,
I didn't know that!{g}
Lisa,
It's been the hardest thing, trying to accomodate 2 children whose needs and desires are diametrically opposed!
Cynthia,
That is the plan! Then I'll check all your holiday posts to keep me on track!{g}
Glad to hear that you'll have a break after all this busyness!
Post a Comment