Friday, October 05, 2007

It's Autumn!

Some years, in England, we get the flaming colours of Autumn: brilliant yellows, smouldering reds, gorgeous russets. And some Autumns are so miserably wet, grey and windy that we barely notice them sliding into winter. This year's Autumn has a different appearance. Our warm spring and cool wet summer has given way to bright blue skies and late leafiness, this October.

Autumn's skirts are still green.

A boat in a field? This mystery is a canal boat navigating one of Oxfordshire's canals.

We met our friends G and her boys for a late blackberry-picking expedition on the organic farmland where they are tenants with a vegetable growing business.


Gosh, that was a long sentence, wasn't it?

No, these aren't blackberries. I just liked the colours.


Do you think they are all getting tired of my photograph-taking?

G just LOVES the Autumn!
Some sun to top up those depleted Vitamin D levels.

I found out that G grew up on a farm in Argentina, before the military government sent her family packing during the Falklands War. They'd been there for generations.

Well, I'm glad she's here in Oxfordshire!


Warning! Boys At Work!

Boys, dirt, water. A magical combination.


For *them*!
Ah! And here's Grace again.

Another perfect day!

Until I got lost on the way home.

Because I'm cartographically challenged.

I'm special that way.

11 comments:

Salar37_Shushan said...

Dirt, Boys, Water - yes, that a perfect combination for them - especially when its a fascinating streamlet going past a country gate.

Great photos (as always :)

Susan in Va

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
I suppose you'll be making some wonderful blackberry something-or-other now. The colors are great and it looks like the boys had a fabulous time. My boys have a fabulous time anytime dirt is involved (LOL)!

Serenata said...

What a wonderful day - and the weather has been super. I do love these crisp autumn days when the sky is so blue.

Fantastic photos - you put me to shame. My excuse... my camera eats batteries and hardly ever works!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliments about the photos, guys.

It was such a fabulous day, I was just glad to have captured a little of its beauty.

Anonymous said...

yes, beautiful weather, isn't it - and please, please tell me you turn maps round? Do your entire family laugh at you, too, or is that just me?
jackie
guide leader as may be, still no good with a road map LOL

Jodi said...

Beautiful day. A bit too familiar with boys and dirt and boys and mud here!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Dirt, boys, water - yep. LOL

All that beautiful countryside...I'm dreaming again...only two more years and maybe we'll be going somewhere magical with 4 seasons and rolling countryside....maybe. LOL

Thanks for sharing your excursion with us.

Diann said...

I am cartographically challenged as well (what a nice way to say it). Tim always used to make me read the maps when we went anywhere and then would get frustrated because I couldn't figure out where we were. Then we got a GPS and my life has become so much better. It tells me where I am!

Emily said...

Dorothy,
What a splendid day! It looks like you all had a great time and you can't beat that weather. We are still sweating in the humidity here in Florida . .. still in the 90's .. .kids have been in the pool all day today!

Kathy in WA said...

Lovely outing! I can't belive you still had blackberries out somewhere.

Beautiful pictures of Grace and the boys. :)

berrypatch said...

Dorothy,
I just have to say this - Grace is SO photogenic! Every photo you've posted of her is so beautiful. Her smile just lights up the screen.

Lisa