Don't Go.
I am never, ever, ever, ever, to going another Church Meeting. EVER.
Which is just what I said after the last one I went to, two years ago.
I found myself having to actually SIT on my hands last night to stop myself raising one to comment. (good) I sat on the back row and muttered. (bad) I controlled my outrage. (good) Jamie told me on the way home that I'd not managed to do that very well. (bad) I listened attentively to what everyone had to say. (good) When I finally did speak, the murmur of approval I thought I heard was more like one of shock at how blunt I was, according to Jamie. (v.v.bad)
I said my piece, but now I am obsessing over how badly I said it. Why, why, why did I go? You'd think I'd have learned from last time. I managed to avoid going to another one for almost 2 whole years! But this was an extra-ordinary one called as a result of the Youth Pastor's resignation last week and I really felt I had to go this time. This was our morning church, BTW.
I'm never, ever, ever, ever going to another one.
OKAY, I MIGHT go to another one. But only if my faithful readers can come up with suggestions for surviving church meetings. Please post your ideas below and I'll compile them for a new post!
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
My problem has been "town hall meetings" which are meetings of different folks in charge of differnet things at a military installation. I keep trying to get things fixed or changed for the better. All I've done is ticked off people. But things have gotten done.
I got the MP to send out a notice about the fox with mange. I got housing to post the proper numbers to call in case of an emergency (they had been handing out the wrong numbers for at least 16 mos if not longer). I got my son and two other students an online algebra course last year as 8th graders when I was told only regular 8th grade math was available.
What have I not accomplished? Clearly marked parking spaces. Accommodations for my dd at school (we solved that by returning to homeschooling).
WE've typically belonged to big churches and I"ve only belonged to the womens' group so I've never been to a church meeting...but I imagine my day will come and I will sit on my hands, mutter under my breath, roll my eyes, etc....
No advice from someone who sounds a lot like you :)
Really chewy caramels?
Extra fiber that morning?
Now that I've fixed this problem for you, could you please quit mentioning Christmas? I'm so not ready.lol
I'm with you. I think it best not to go... send your comments in the form of a written note with your dh (LOL)!
I'm with you. I think it best not to go... send your comments in the form of a written note with your dh (LOL)!
I try to avoid them too. I leave them to my husband!!!
OOOh Renee, Way to Go!
Ladies, I do notice that most couple seem to send the Dad along. We've been doing that. But the Church Secretary has been mentioning that people have to go unless there is a good reason.
I'll have to tell him that my good reason for not going is that I'll just annoy everyone.
I could try the straightjacket and chewy sweets method for avoiding involvement.
Wait I know what to do.... go in with a piece of ducttape over your mouth.... that's about all that would work for me (maybe)
I wouldn't dare to judge how well or badly you did. I sincerely doubt you would have spoken up if you didn't believe it was very important indeed. I always respect that.
& Sometimes things NEED said no matter how unpopular it is.
Granted, determining exactly when that is and when to let sleeping carnivores snore takes a lot more wisdom than I sometimes have.
so what advice can I give?
not much. All I know is what I do.
I pray for God to guide my words before heading into these situations. I pray for God to cue me when not to speak. I pray for favor when I already know I have been told to speak. I also avoid meetings where I haven't been told to speak and I know I will tend to growl on the backrow too -or possibly the front row. Eek! lol
Haven't been as effective as Renee though. Seriously, Renee, I am impressed!
Dorothy, I totally relate. There is a reason my other screenname is 'Salar' - "the salty one"
;-)
#1 bring beer, and lots of it, enough to drink and share with everyone.
#2 duct tape, either for your mouth or for others' ears.
Uh, can I sign my name as anonymous?
And Dorothy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your blog! You're one year old today (unless it was yesterday!)
Thanks for being my inspiration to start my own blog!
Kristine! Thank You!
I hadn't realised, though I thought it was this sort of time of year!
While I think I've made positive changes in our community, I have also made enemies - well not exactly but there are definitely folks that will try to avoid me because I'm not afraid to speak up when something is not right.
Post a Comment