Thursday, August 21, 2008

Detours

I think I've mentioned before on this blog, just once or twice, how much I love British walls. I love the variety of brick and stone, old and crumbling, dry or mortar, I care not. I just love them. I especially love them when there's moss, ferns or other lovely things growing in or on them. Look at this, isn't it lovely? I stopped to take this picture and then noticed the view of the Oxfordshire countryside above the wall.
Then, I spotted this.
Aynho stocks. I guess the village felt strongly about preserving them. You never know. They might come back into fashion one day. Let's hope someone still has the key to the padlock if they do.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have a thing about Aynho. We used to go through it on the way to a stud farm, when I was still a stud groom, and I used to decide I wanted to live there. Not sure I could have lived up to it.
In a village near us there is a similar arrangement of rails surrounding an old outdoor baptistry. Fabulous. Down the road from the chapel and on the main drag! Those were the days.
Jackie

Alexandra said...

I like mossy ferny rock walls as well. The older the better. As a child I used to love to look over medieval walls when my mother would drag me to castles and cathedrals in England, France and Germany. It's amazing to touch them, you are touching history, and they are weathered with character.

This is very bad, but as a child I used to like to take away little bits of walls that had fallen. I wish I still had my collection, but I left them all behind in our garden in Frankfurt.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I wonder if the current occupant of the house in Frankfurt appreciates such an historic rockery?!

Jackie

Cynthia said...

Love the pictures of your countryside!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Oh, I love these photos and I've missed your blog. I'm suppose to be typing a produce co-op email and must do that but I thought I'd pop in and find your email address....I don't see one - so I'll check yahoo. I have three friends with your last name and don't want to send your email to the wrong lady. LOL

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I love your detours!

Kristine said...

Have you mentioned that before?

(grin)

I love seeing your stonework. It reminds me of the James Herriott books, most of which I have not read in 25 years. (But I may have mentioned that before!)

:)

Romany said...

Jackie,

An *outdoor* baptistry???? What if you came to the Lord in January?