Saturday, November 01, 2008

Our (Half-Term) Week

Saturday
Grace met some of her college friends in Oxford and they went to see a movie and catch up at a cafe together. Because all the students have ASD, the parents hung around in the building during the film and sat at another table while the young people socialized. It *IS* independence, but not as other 17-20 year olds know it. {g}

We had our traditional
Shabbat Meal together in the evening. Though we do it on Saturdays so not *that* traditional. {g}

Sunday
In the morning, Jamie and I went to a new church about 20 mins away. It's a possible! People were friendly. Their priorities seemed right to us. The music was not good, but hey, you can't have everything in one church. We were surprised to meet our saxophonist from Life-Songs there. He's been going there for about a year. He confirmed about how important it is to have opportunities like Life-Songs for people whose 'worship language' is music to be able to communicate with God in the language they speak. We discovered he used to be a (music) missionary in India. It was a very positive visit.

In the evening, we all went to another church a little further away. The pastor was very sympathetic to our problem as several ex-members of the church we left were already 'refugees' there. This church is growing and very dynamic, with good preaching, but may just be a little too far away and a little too dry for the kids.

After evening church we were invited back to friend's house where were ate some supper and chatted for a while.

Monday
Jack set off for a
Christians in Sport camp in Northampton. It was half term and though he'd been set quite a lot of homework to be completed somehow this week, we felt it was most important that he got a break from his studies to go on this short camp. He had the BEST time as always. Pray, Play, Say is their motto. They do bible studies, they learn about good sportsmanship, they develop their skills in their own sport, get evangelism training, learn leadership skills and they have a LOT of fun.

I was still quite ill and recovering very slowly. I started returning to housework, with lots of breaks.

Tuesday
the house was quiet without Jack. Grace and I went out for a hot chocolate together and ambled round some shops. Then, we over-reached ourselves by doing a week's grocery shop. We were both pretty tired by the end of it. I slept when I got back!

Jamie met a friend for coffee in the evening.

Wednesday
Grace started playing the piano again. A whole week of no college meant that boredom had kicked in. I suggested she try to write a song and she spent a few hours on that, but was not happy with the results.

We had a prayer meeting for Life-Songs planned, but a few people had to cancel at the last minute, so we postponed it. We really need the whole team there as we want to get feedback for all the plans. These guys are all busy so it's understandable, but it was disappointing.

Thursday
I got caught up on housework, though not quite up to cooking, so it was good to get an invitation to dinner at the home of the family who run the youth work at the church we've been going to for most of the summer. They knew we'd decided not to stay at that church and it did make things a little awkward, but we prayed together before we left and, I hope, we parted as friends. Jamie had picked Jack up a couple of hours before we went out. It was great to see him again.

Friday
I did not sleep at all last night. I had an upset tummy and a blinding headache. I also managed to twist and hurt my neck. All of which meant that I was not able to drive to Aylesbury to take Jack to meet with friends and see the new Bond film, Quantum of Solace, at the first ever showing! But fortunately my friend, Marcia, came to the rescue and picked him up. He ended up staying the night at their house, so we were without him again last night. I missed out on lunch with some of my home-educating friends though and I was sad about that. I've not been able to see some of them for months so I had been looking forward to that.

I took some strong meds for my neck and dozed on and off all day, while Grace pottered around doing her thing. I think she's had a good rest this week, which is important for her. When she starts back at college next week it will be all go again for her.


Jamie was out at work until late but he picked Grace up and whisked her off out for a drink when he got home. Sounds weird, I know, but Grace had a J2O (juice) and he had a shandy and they went to a family restaurant, so not as shocking as it sounds! She loves these dad/daughter dates. She's more inclined to open up and chat when she is in a one to one situation.

Plans for the weekend? Grace and I do an induction for a local gym, we are going to Jack's friend's baptism and to a big fireworks display in town later. (Bonfire Night - being the nearest Saturday night to Nov 5th.) And tomorrow we plan to check out last Sunday's two churches in reverse order and have some friends coming over for coffee and a chat in the afternoon between services. My head/neck still hurts but I'm feeling a bit brighter.

I know that was a long catch-up and most of you will not read it all and there are no pictures and it's quite boring, BUT, it's quite useful for me to write it out.

I'll take some pictures this weekend, I promise!


8 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

Well, I was enjoying it and reading it all, thinking to myself, "how neat to have it all written out like that - for both of us" until that last bit :)

Glad you are feeling a bit better, hope Grace enjoys college more than Ewok (although that wouldn't be hard), Jack had a great week and Jamie enjoyed his date with another woman :lol:

Yvonne said...

D, what an interesting thought about music being some folks "worship language." It struck me, that this is when I feel closest to God, when I can just let the love in my heart well up and roll off my tongue.

Thanks for sharing.

Alexandra said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Many in my area are ill as well - some stomach flu going around. Oddly enough, there are also many complaints of neck soreness! I'm not sick, but very tired, and I've got a terrible sore neck. My daughter got the stomach flu, but not the rest of us. I had to go to the massage therapist last week to get my neck worked on. It was better, but then came back again yesterday. Neck muscle aches are the worst! Mine was giving me a horrible headache, as I'm sure yours is as well. Maybe Jaime can work on your neck - massage is wonderful for getting the knots out. My husband is pretty good, but he does complain about tired hands after a short time(rolling eyes).

Paula said...

Thanks for the update Dorothy. I hope things work out for you in your search for a new church home.

Cynthia said...

I enjoy hearing about your week even without any pictures (LOL)! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Romany said...

Alexandra,

I'm sorry you're not well either!

I think my neck went out because of all the coughing I've been doing. Jamie is very good at neck massages!

berrypatch said...

Not boring at all! Music is my worship language & I only discovered it a few years ago. Sometimes I get so lost in a song...God becomes so tangible that I can feel Him there with me as I sing & praise Him. Gives me goosebumps every time & I always remember the song. :-)

Jodi said...

No it' not boring.

I find it intresting to read how different things are in your world now with nearly grown children. It all seems to happen quite fast.

Meanwhile in the trenches with some that are still a little little (LOL) I'm reminded just how fast it goes.