Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Christmas Retrospective

I rethought the whole topic of Advent and Christmas last year. I've bored many of you, I'm sure, with posts about this.{vbg} We changed things somewhat, resulting in several shifts in emphasis for our family. I am really pleased with the changes and plan to develop them more next year.

For my own benefit, and for anyone else who might be interested, here are some summarized notes which distill what I've learned this year.

~Advent is NOT, and never has been, a Countdown To Christmas. The huge growth in sales of 'advent calendars' in the last few decades has somehow convinced us that it is. It is not. Advent has its own unique part in the rhythm of the year. Its role is NOT to prepare us for Christmas, but to prepare us for the Second Coming.

~Advent Sundays can play a special role in keeping our family on track spiritually. We can and should plan for special Jesus-focused events on those Sundays.

~Christmas does not start in November. Sure, excitement starts to build after Bonfire Night on November 5th, because that's the next big celebration for us here in Britain. But there's a difference between anticipation and actual celebration.

~A long period of celebration is simply a secular response to commercial pressure. Anticipation of a sustained period of 12 days beginning on Christmas Eve of meaningful family time is better than 8 weeks or more of diluted Christmas ending on Christmas Day, quickly followed by anti-climax.

~Christmas starts on Christmas Eve, not matter what the advertisers or the high street stores tell us.{g}

~The tradition of keeping Christmas for 12 days right across the top of the year is a good one! Our forefathers knew what they were doing! It works! There is a rightness and truthfullness about it which I simply did not expect. LOL!

~Now that we've had children in this family for 18 years, we need to encourage their thoughts about Christmas traditions in future. As a family of adults, our feelings about Christmas are evolving, quite naturally, and all of us need to be involved in the changes we make.

~Jesus was very much present at the heart of our Christmas. Next year, the challenge, for us as a family, will be to make sure that others, for whom Jesus is merely a myth about a baby, can share that with us more. In our home. With us.

~We need to spread the cost of Christmas better across the year. We need to spread the time of preparations better across the year. I need to shake off this idea of the pre-Christmas period being busy and stressful, but planning to ensure it is not.

~We were sad to put away the Christmas Decorations on the 12th Day. But that is so much better than being so heartily sick of them, because they've been up for so long, that we want to tear them down on Boxing Day!

~I feel satisfied. It was a good Christmas. So often, after Christmas, I have a sense of incompleteness, of regret, of disappointment and anti-climax. There have been many reasons for that in the past, but this year, I only feel content. Like a baby who has had a good feed and falls blissfully asleep in its mother's arms. Mmmmm...who'd have thought? LOL!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love reading your thoughts on Christmas. Our holiday this year wasn't nearly what I wanted it to be in terms of worship. We had so much going on with health, etc that it felt like the life was drained from us I've been thinking about early preparations and planning (not celebrating!) and having a good, family, 12 Days of Christmas celebration like yours here next year. I've even saved your thoughts in my notes. ;)

Love the new blog look too! I'm getting ready to change mine again as well. I can only say "Happy New Year" so many days before it drives me batty, and I think I'm well beyond my quota. lol

Esther said...

It's been great to read your journey through Christmas this year. Very thought-provoking. Surrounded by boxes, ready to move house, we haven't had any decorations or a tree this year... and I really liked it! I felt for the kids (still young), but it sure focussed us on Jesus and there has been no anti-climax. I've lots of thoughts to take forward to Christmas this year now!

Romany said...

Esther,

We've had a few Christmases like that, too. We always seem to move house in January!

I'm glad you've enjoyed reading about ours and that you have your own ideas for next year!

Romany said...

Stephanie,

Thanks. I hope to change the background about once a month, but most of the CBOTB backgrounds are a little too fussy for me, so we'll see.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing our thoughts, Dorothy. We simplified things this year and realize now that we simplified too much.... I feel like we didn't fully celebrate because we didn't do any baking and therefore had nothing to take around to share... and a few other things which I won't elaborate on, but next year I plan to make sure I don't simplify TOO much (LOL).

I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on Christmas.

Alexandra said...

I so agree! Christmas is about Christ and joy! As a devoted daughter of the King, I enjoy Christmas much more now(as opposed to the mostly secular Christmas of my childhood). I used to feel much as you described - so let down, and almost sick to my stomach after Christmas day. It was not a joyful feeling....almost like I knew something was missing, superficial, and disordered(the Holy Spirit talking to me, I'm sure).

“Either we live the liturgical year with its varying seasons of joy and sorrow, work and rest, or we follow the pattern of the world.” ~ Helen McLoughlin.

In the Catholic church, the liturgy of Advent celebrates the renewal of the desire for His second coming by sharing in the preparation of His first coming. ~ Catechism, no. 524.

Christ has given me such peace. God bless you for having such a worthy goal of bringing others to that peace.

Romany said...

Alexandra, yes, I'm sure that was the Holy Spirit in each of us.{g}