Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Before the Price went up!

I wanted to snap this shot for posterity. The girl in the kiosk was very curious about my photo-taking, when I went to pay.{g} Yes, I could have paid at the pump, but I had a '5p a litre off' voucher to use! YESSSSS! A tankful cost more than £50. And that is before the planned price hike yesterday. That will last us a week, if we're lucky. We need a more economical car. We'd love to take advantage of the government scrappage sheme, but a new car is not in our future.

It also underlines the fact that we need to move somewhere we don't need to drive so often. At the moment, anywhere we need to go is at least 30 minutes drive away. In Milton Keynes, we could take buses or cycle around the city.

6 comments:

Alexandra said...

We are just now beginning to see these planned communities in my neck of the woods(Va/US). It's more popular on the Pacific coast, especially the progressive Pacific NW. From a cost standpoint, they maybe more practical if the stores within walking or cycling have good prices. Of course, this may far outweigh the cost of purchasing and maintaining a vehicle.

They are coming out with a car which runs on compressed air! I think it's being used now in India for taxis. I would have preferred to wait to purchase this car as the price is promised to be affordable, but we had no choice.

Distances here in the states are so far! You really need a car to get from point A to B. Areas are zoned almost exclusively for either residential or commercial, so there is no mixing which makes it difficult to go without a car. Older big cities like NYC are the exception. You can go without a car there.

Jackie said...

Let me tell you what you don't need.
A LandRover in the middle of nowhere. :0)

Romany said...

Alexandra,

Yes, MK, the city we're looking at, is very well planned from that point of view, with Lidls and Aldis in some local areas and a good public transport system as well as the 'redways', the bike and footpaths.

I'm really hoping to be able to use the car much less.

Jackie,

This town *is* in the middle of nowhere, to all intents and purposes, and we're on the edge of it with hardly a bus in sight. Not a good situation.

Yes, I should imagine Landrovers are thirsty creatures?{g}

Alexandra said...

"...with Lidls and Aldis in some local areas and a good public transport system as well as the 'redways', the bike and footpaths."

Sounds dreamy! I'd be there in a minute.

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Very pricey petrol, indeed. yes, another good reason to move. Would Jamie still need to drive in to work, or would he be able to utilize public transport?

Cynthia said...

I also dream of living somewhere without all the driving to/fro all the time. But for the forseeable future (while the boys are young) it appears that were meant to live out here in the boonies.....