Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 6

Nearly there. Jamie will be back this time tomorrow. He's hoping to be back in time for the appointment with our Member of Parliament tomorrow morning to discuss the proposed changes to the legislation on Home Education. However, after driving all night from Switzerland (with all my chocolate), I suspect that he will not make it in time.

I spent about 5 hours in the car yesterday driving people everywhere. Oh, did I mention that I hate driving? Also, I was so worried that my alarm wouldn't go off in time, that I woke at 4.00am, so it was a nice long day.

I've been getting some really encouraging responses to the email I sent to friends about what's been going on. And I do feel much calmer. I know it's the result of prayer. For the next hospital visit, the dr gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant. Hopefully, that will mean I will not be too much of a handful for the dr's and nurses. {vbg} She did ask me if I wanted beta blockers, but since I don't know what they are, I turned them down. Something that slows your heart right down didn't sound too good an idea to me.

I missed the Badman Protest/Bubbles Picnic demonstration in our city because I was lying on a hospital bed having indescribable things done to me with scary looking implements, so I have a good excuse, but still feel guilty.

God has been teaching me some important (yet probably to others, obvious) things about myself.
  • One is that I don't like authority.
  • I hate waiting, for tests and results.
  • Another is that I don't like being at the mercy of others and feeling helpless.
  • Another is that I hate male authority figures. They terrify me.
  • Another is that I don't like lying down in hospitals with people prodding me.
  • Another is that I hate taking drugs that anaesthetise me or alter my mood.
  • I really don't like men with bow ties.
Unfortunately, the above just describes all my OB GYN experiences of the last 35 years and there's more to come. That's what comes of having an Utterly Useless Uterus. (UUU)

Apologies to Julie B and Stephanie, both of whom I have tried to email, but the messages just came back as 'undeliverable'. Thanks for your support, though.

8 comments:

Renee said...

* I hate waiting, for tests and results. ---- heck I even hate waiting at traffic lights.

* Another is that I don't like being at the mercy of others and feeling helpless.----- I know for me it's because I don't like not being in control

* Another is that I don't like lying down in hospitals with people prodding me.----if someone did enjoy this, we should have them committed.

* I really don't like men with bow ties.-----they just can't be taken seriously

The Bookworm said...

Darned UUU. Hoping this is the last time it tries to draw attention to itself. {{{ More hugs }}}

Alexandra said...

Those beta blockers are often used for persons suffering from panic attacks. I used to take them for high blood pressure when I worked outside the home...don't need them now.

I have to agree with you on Ob/Gyn doctors. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. Of course, I tend to be stubborn and demand involvement in my own health which seems to cause ego problems with some male doctors. I don't think doctors are gods, and I am not a docile lamb of a patient.

We have a reality show here in the U.S. called Deliver Me, and the gyn doctors are always so compassionate and sensitive, etc., etc, and I wonder why I've never been able to find one like that!

I'm sure things will look up tomorrow when Jamie is back with hugs and some Swiss chocolates. ;)

Serenata said...

Beta blockers are great for people who get extremely nervous - they settle the adrenaline that seems to get out of hand! Brilliant for anxiety and panic attacks. You don't have to take them all the time and a very small dose usually works wonders!

Thinking of you. I have hope and pray that everything goes well (as it can be in that situation) and you have nothing nasty.

Linda said...

Well, I do also hate the first 3 things on your list! When I knew I needed to see a gyn this past summer, I looked specifically for a female. I had just been seeing the nurse practitioner in my gyn's office for regular exams since Carys was born (at home with a midwife). It had been a LONG time since I'd seen a real gyn. I have to drive an hour and a half to see this lady, but I really like her. Had a recheck (3 months post D&C) yesterday, and everything looks good. Whew! Praying for good results from yours. Are they putting you under for this procedure? Are they doing a complete D&C and biopsying that or just a biopsy?

Wild Homeschool Family said...

I can relate to your dislikes although I can't say I have any issue with bow ties. I am glad that Jamie is just about back home with you.

Cynthia said...

Still praying.... Did you get the email I sent the other day? We leave on Thursday so I was just trying to connect with you before we leave, but I'm guessing with all of your health issues you may not be able to meet us now....

Anonymous said...

Dorothy! You're in my prayers and thoughts today and every day. I am sorry that I didn't know what you are going through...I'm going to make sure your blog is my opening page so I am better in tune with you! I miss you, admire your bravery (yes, you are brave!) and love how you are sharing your scariest moments with us so that we can see how our awesome God works miracles!
xxx,
Windy