Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Monday at home

Yesterday, Monday, was a very busy day at home. The kids worked hard at their 'schoolwork' as we call it round here. Jack is into setting himself high goals at the moment. Long may that continue. Consequently, he studied for about 5 hours in all, making notes on matters which interested him, just at random in his notebook. I looked at what he'd noted. A drawing of a volcano, notes on the structure of the mouth and the order in which teeth erupt and questions to ask his youth pastor later about the book of Acts. I'm really glad that he has taken on more responsibility for planning and carrying out his own education. I'm feeling quite proud of him today!

Then he did all his household chores and worked for an hour in the garden tidying it up to work off some of his debt to us for losing his coat. He did a good job, without complaint. Then the 'Party Van' (the Youth Pastor's vehicle) came to pick him up and whisk him off for his boys' small group. They study the Bible together, eat chocolate and play PS2 games, from what I can tell. He was back for dinner with the rest of us and then out to Scouts.

Grace asked early if she could use some of her time that morning to write a new story. She worked on it for hours but did come down to do some Maths, with my help, too. She has taken to thinking she can't do Maths without taking her Omega 3 oils first. (?) So a teaspoon of the 'brain oil' as she calls it and then we set off up the steep, rocky hillside which is Singapore Maths word problems. I keep those sessions brief as neither of us has the stamina for treks that are too long. And she finished with a sense of accomplishment.

The rest of her day was spent reading, writing the story, which I am not allowed to see yet, doing some Comprehension from Wordly Wise, and drawing. She did her chores too.

Dinner was sweet'n' sour chicken with brown rice and salad. Jamie had leftover quorn tacos from last night. I did loads of vegetable prep yesterday too. Cutting and chopping things like onions and peppers, which are v cheap at the moment, and popping them in the freezer. I cooked and froze some slices of chicken breast too, so another chicken meal will be easy to prepare. I shredded cheese and lettuce too and made some egg mayonnaise for sandwiches over the next couple of days.

The rest of the evening was a frustrating attempt to put pictures on this blog and to come to grips with the mess that switching to broadband has entailed. Our security precautions are so strong, it's hard to do anything! But Jamie also spent some time with Grace playing/singing together.

I had a sad hour or so and couldn't stop crying. Every now and then I think about the challenges which Grace faces in her future and wonder how on earth we are going to cope. I remember reading stats that showed the majority of fathers in families with autistic children leave. Just can't cope, so they go. Fortunately, Jamie isn't the type to quit. And we've been through the most difficult part now, I hope. Sometimes, it's just overwhelming. Then we have a good day and I feel like I can cope with anything again.

Maybe today will be one of those days?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you've added pictures, well done! Glad you worked through the frustration and got them posted. Your children have changed so much since the last time I saw a picture of them. teenagers, wow and I'm right behind you with slightly younger ones coming up.

I'm glad that Jamie does so well with Grace's differences. That is not so much the case here but sometimes my dh seems to be getting more accepting. I think it's hard for him to have a boy who looks big enough to be a man but still acts like a young child at times. Jodi

Anonymous said...

{{{Dorothy}}}

I know that God is giving you and Jaimie His perfect wisdom to raise each of your children. He's got His hand on Grace...
I know you KNOW that but sometimes it helps to hear someone else say it.