~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This recipe and accompanying notes are from Whole Foods For The Whole Family by LLL International (1985 edition).
The tradition of serving twisted loaves on the sabbath has its origin in the manna the Israelites received in the desert. They would collect a double portion of manna on Friday for the Sabbath, as manna did not fall on the Sabbath - therefore the use of two loaves. The manna fell on a cover of dew and was covered with dew. We duplicate these two covers with the tablecloth below the loaves and a special cover which is removed only after the Kiddush (blessing over the wine) is made and the appropriate blessing for the loaves. The twisted shape of the loaves duplicates that of the loaves of the Temple.
Ingredients
~~~~~~~
2 T yeast
2 Cups warm water
3 eggs
1/4 - 1/2 cup honey or sugar
2 t salt
2 T - 1/3 cup butter or oil
7-8 cups wholewheat flour or Cornell Mix (I use half ww and half white flour)
egg wash
Optional:
sesame or poppy seeds
add 1/2 cup each soy flour and wheatgerm for high protein Challah.
Dissolve yeast in water. Add eggs, honey, salt, butter and about 3 1/2 cups flour. Beat well by hand.
Add remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 5 -10 minutes adding a little more flour if necessary. Use as little flour as necessary for a delicate challah. It should be velvety soft.
Let rise until doubled, covered with a cloth. Punch down and let rise again if desired. (I don't.)
Shape into 2 twisted or braided loaves; place on greased baking sheets and let rise until doubled. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with seeds if desired. I do one loaf each with sesame and poppy seeds.
Bake at 350-375*F.
I cook mine at 160*C for about 25 minutes in my fan oven, though the recipe calls for 30-45 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
NB
t= teaspoon
T= tablespoon
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing these traditions! I know it must be a special time for the whole family!
Thanks for the recipe. I've been talking to hubby about trying to start some type of weekly family tradition...not sure what yet, but you've given me lots of things to think about.
Post a Comment