Saturday, January 20, 2007

Plum and Pecan Crumble

Whoever first thought up the plum and pecan combination deserves a knighthood. This recipe is one of Nigella's.

Filling
****
approx 1 kg plums
30g unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
2-4 tablespoons light muscovado (or soft brown sugar)
depending on the sourness of the fruit
1 scant tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch in US)

20cm round pie dish buttered

Crumble Topping
************
150g cold unsalted butter, diced
250g self-raising flour
150g soft brown sugar, or golden (unbleached) sugar
200g pecans, some chopped finely, others left larger or whole

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/gas mark 5

Halve the plums, removing the stones, and put them cut side side up in the dish. Dot with the butter, sprinkle with the sugar and put uncovered in the oven for 20 mins.

While the plums are cooking, make the crumble topping. Rub the butter into the flour either with your fingers or a mixer with the flat paddle. (Don't use a processor as that will make the topping too fine...you are going for rough and rustic looking.) Fork the sugar and nuts into the crumble topping and set aside.

When the plums have had their time in the oven, pour some of the liquid into a little bowl into which you've placed the cornflour (starch). Stir to a paste, then stir back into the plum dish. (I omit this step.)

Add the crumble topping, pressing down lightly around the edges. Put crumble back into the oven for 25 minutes or until it is cooked and speckled golden brown.

This is extremely delicious! Tonight we had it will english custard, but it's also good with ice-cream (bit too sweet for me, but the kids liked it!), thick greek yoghurt or indeed, thick cream. Actually, it's also good cold the next day for breakfast. Or so I am told.

Make it.
You will not regret it.

I'm sorry I don't have time to do the conversions! You can do them here:
http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/conversions/

3 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Dorothy--this sounds delicious!! Thanks for including a link for the conversions. Ha! I was trying to do them in my head and failing. Lol.

Romany said...

You are welcome. I hope you enjoy it!

I just made some of Nigella Lawson's brownies for a friend in hospital and am trying very hard not to eat any of them!

Dorothy

Emily said...

All I can say is Yum!!!!!!!