Saturday, January 27, 2007

Stuff I Did This Week

When I first set up home here in Bloggetyville, I used to detail minutiae from our day, describing exactly where everyone was at every moment, but I'm beginning to think about things differently. {g}

Now, I'm down to a quick tour of 'Stuff I did this week' in the hope that I won't bore my friends (that's you) stupid. If it's boring, sshhhhh, don't tell me. I like to maintain the illusion that I am an interesting person living an exciting life.

Stuff Done, in no particular order
*********************************
Went to America to visit my lovely friend, Windy.
Okay, it wasn't really America, just the US base, but it's LIKE going to America, cos I have to show ID and stuff to get in. And there's stars and stripes and American cars and things like root beer in Windy's fridge.

Windy is a lovely lady and I am so glad she's my friend. She's a great support to me and I hope I am the same for her. She's very positive and shows the love of Jesus to everyone who meets her. She's currently mentoring a couple of very young couples living near her who are new parents and she's doing a wonderful job.

AND she just told me that the Air Force isn't going to be moving them on in a year or so after all. It is going to keep her family here for a further FOUR YEARS!!!!I'm not sure what Rodney did to deserve that kind of punishment. I'm sure he must have been hoping for Hawaii next! {g}

We booked two family days out. One is a homeschool visit to Cadbury World in Birmingham. Don't laugh, there really is such a place. A tour of the chocolate factory, an exhibition and a shop. I'm sure it will be terribly educational and the kids will learn MUCH about geography and economics and trade routes and crop management in the third world. And we won't be spending very much time on the shop afterwards AT ALL!

The second one is another London Symphony Orchestra Discovery concert at the Barbican in London with Windy and her family. I can't wait!

Jack has started in an athletics club. This boy just can't get enough physical exercise! That's another two evenings a week for him!

Jamie and I had a meeting with a friend about starting a christian band. Ideas were exchanged. Lots to think about. This will be a major new project for us and I am not sure how we think we will fit in all the work. {gulp!} But if God wants us to do it, I'm sure He will provide the opportunities and resources.

Grace has been so much brighter, switched on and engaged in the last week. I don't know if it's hormones or because we upped her fish oil intake dramatically. (Omegas are supposed to have big effects on ASD characteristics.) Grace calls it her 'brain oil.'

Arrangements are going on for our Keepers/Contenders Awards Evening. I had a major wobble about having to decorate the table for another family since I don't have any matching plates. I was about to give the person whose idea it was to have table decoration themes an earful before I remembered it was me. Then we decided that my green tablecloth could be the grass and we could use plastic plates and flowers and call it a Spring picnic...
...sort of thing...
still working on that one.

I've had a headache all week and think I need a new pillow.

Got to go out and find a birthday present for Jamie this afternoon. He has helpfully informed me that he doesn't need anything. Uh, thanks darling.

I know, I'll buy him a new pillow!


10 comments:

Yvonne Ferlita said...

A christian band? Sounds like a wonderful ministry! I'll be praying for you guys. ~Yvonne

Serenata said...

If you need a clarinettist or saxophonist for your Christian band I would be very interested!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Loved reading your update.

Over here they've frozen most all Air Force members in place for 4 years....we were hoping to go overseas but it sure seems like God wants to keep us in TX. LOL

Interesting to hear about Grace and your omegas. The dietitian said the same thing to me about Zander and his behaviours....interesting to hear someone else hearing the same things.

Romany said...

DeEtta,

When Grace 1st had her dx we trawled the internet for info. As one does.{g} There is LOTS of, mainly anecdotal, evidence about Omegas, BUT also lots of talk about the gluten free/casein free diet which I've since found out is just not supported by evidence.

GFCF would be a MAJOR diet change and I'm not prepared to do it without serious evidence that it works.

We did one tsp a day of her 'brain oil' for months and no apparent change, but then upped it to 3 a day and wham big improvement! But with a teenage girl you wonder about the interraction of other things like hormones and just well, growing up.

We'll carry on at this dosage though and keep researching.

Dorothy

Serenata said...

We use MorEpa with our YS and have done since the summer and have also noted a huge improvement. We started this after hearing a radio programme. A lady described her son who sounded just like ours and her positive comments along with actual medical doctors praising it, convinced us it was worth a try. Subsequently did further research and decided to give it a go.

The Bookworm said...

I have the same problem with buying presents for dh ... makes me feel terribly guilty about all the things I want / need!

Kathy in WA said...

Dorothy--I just wanted to say I love reading your blog. I say post as frequently and detailed as you can. You won't bore us (we'll just skim if absolutely necessary). Ha! So glad to hear Grace is doing well. Hooray!

Emily said...

Dorothy, I enjoy reading your blog along with all the othe blogs. It has been wonderful to get a sneak peak into the lives of everyone!

Jodi said...

I would guess that a new pillow is always welcome. Pillows do flatten out too quickly. They are very nice when they're new!

We tried GF/CF quite a long time ago. I'm glad to hear someone says there is no supporting evidence as I just could do it cooking-wise of financially.

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
I think my style is rubbing off on you.... I just can't get to the blog everyday like some people so I have to settle for posting the highlights. The problem with that is people don't see the everyday stuff, I decided I'll just post what I can when I can.

The chocolate weekend sounds like FUN!

So glad your friend gets to stay for another 4 years. WHOO HOO!

Starting a band! Sounds like a lot of fun.