Cornwall.
We come here or to Devon for the surfing every September. Every year, Jamie, Grace and Jack surf all day from early morning until the lifeguards go home. Every day, they beg me to leave the warm sand, where I am happily ensconced with several novels, to join them in the water. Every year, I leave it until the last day because I am a wimp and scared of being cold.
Then, on the final day of our holiday, I drag myself out into the water. I stand in the shifting sands with the waves lapping my legs, wind whipping my hair into my eyes. I wobble each time a retreating wave pulls out more sand from under me. I venture nervously out into waist-deep water. The seagulls climb overheard in the bright, blue sky. There are clouds low on the horizon, out to sea.
My kids and their dad are screaming with delight at my bravery, splashing me in odd ecouragement. They have wetsuits. I don't! I cross my arms over my chest and edge further out, shivering. The water is very cold, but at least I can't feel my feet anymore.The big waves are breaking right over me now! My arms have to leave my chest and I have to swim to get back to the surface after each one. I'm gasping for breath. I start swimming into right the breakers. It's exhilarating! And freeing.
Every summer of my 50 years I have swum in this Atlantic Ocean - apart from the years we lived in land-locked Ontario, where all we had was a very big lake. Oh, and that summer, long before children, when Jamie and I swam at Malibu. But let me tell you the only exciting thing about the Pacific for me was the possibility of being eaten by sharks. The North Atlantic is MY ocean.
Every summer, I am reminded of the force and beauty of nature. The depth of the sea, the height of the sky, the sheer, magnificent scale of things. And each year since becoming a christian, I feel more and more connected to God's creation by this act of swimming in my ocean. His ocean.
I'm beyond the breakers now. I'm rising and falling with the roll of the swell before it breaks. I look out to sea. There is nothing and no one between me and the next landfall thousands of miles away. I look up. Nothing between me and the infinite heavens. Between me and God. I look towards the land, my land: this green, beautiful, extraordinary Island on the Edge of the World.
The kids are riding the waves again now. Jamie has tumbled into the sea laughing. A few moments of transcendent joy. A glimpse into the future, beyond this life and into the eternal Kingdom.Thank you, oh my Father, for giving this to me.
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I grew up visiting relatives in Cornwall and the Atlantic is my ocean too. Can we share?
This is beautiful, thank you for sharing it. Reminds me so much of home.
This is beautiful Dorothy, Thank you for sharing it with us. It reminds me so much of how I feel about the beaches and the wonder of nature in NZ. I too love Devon, and when we get to have a holiday it is our choice of destination.
Lovely post, lovely thoughts. But in the back of my mind, I kept thinking I'd be absolutely FREEZING! My kids also get a lot of joy from seeing me do something they don't expect. I don't like swimming (don't like getting my hair/face wet), but they are always surprised when I go sledding!
What a beautiful way of looking at things, D!
The North Atlantic is also my ocean...from the other side of the pond. I have to admit, that the water in Maine is just a bit too cold for me, but I can remember swimming in it as a child and the kids brave the cold.
Every year when we go on our holiday to the ocean, I sit on the rocky shore and watch the surf crash on the rocks and feel so very close to God, it often makes me cry.
I wonder if sometime when you are looking east, I might also be looking west and somewhere over the North Atlantic, our looks pass!
Beautiful thoughts. Thanks so much for sharing.
Kathryn,
I'll happily share it. It's big enough for both of us!LOL!
Serenta,
I'm glad to have given you a little glimpse of home.
Kritine,
It IS cold, but in Sept, the water has been warming up all summer, so it's the warmest it gets! It's OK though, you go so numb that after a while you don't feel the cold! {g}
Debbie,
When you love the sea, it's a pity not to live near enough to it to be able to go whenever you like, isn't it? I will be thinking you you next time!
Dorothy
Dorothy,
Your posts are SO ELOQUENT! I loved reading your story. It doesn't even need a picture because you described it so well.
I have to say that "my" ocean is the Caribbean (LOL)! I love WARM clear water! Or course, I really don't have an ocean anywhere nearby... but if I were to chose to be by one it would be the Caribbean
Dorothy - I think you should write a book . .. :-)
Post a Comment