Also from Nava Atlas' book American Harvest, which seems to be out of print right now. But here's her website: http://vegkitchen.com/index.htm
Green Rice
1 T sunflower oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large stalk celery, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup whole or low fat milk
4 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese (a mature English or Canadian cheddar are the only ones worth using in this recipe!)
2 T's butter melted
3/4 cup firmly packed finely chopped fresh parsley
1 T fresh chopped basil or 1 tsp dried basil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350*F/180*C.
Heat oil in frying pan and saute onion and celery until lightly browned.
Transfer to a large bowl and add all the remaining ingredients.
Mix thoroughly, then pat the mixture into an oiled large, shallow baking dish.
Bake for 35 mins or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
I like to serve this with grilled fish or vegie-bangers (sausages) and a red vegie.
Have fun and let me know how you get on!
PS Visiting kids don't even notice the rice in these two recipes is BROWN.
Ha Ha!
Friday, February 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dorothy,
I can't wait to try some of these recipes when we get back home! Thanks for sharing. How's the exercise going this week?
QB? I thought you were away on your cruise by now!
I exercised today and Monday. That's all, but not too bad.{g}
Have a great time!
Dorothy
Post a Comment