Thursday, March 29, 2007

Tortilla Soup

Okay, I admit it. This is Emily's tortilla Soup, but vegetarianised. Is that a word? I also simplified it somewhat.

1 pint hot vegetable stock eg Marigold's
1 can refried beans
1 cup sweetcorn, frozen. Or a can.
1 jar salsa, mild or hot according to your family's tastes
1 cup grated cheddar
3 large tomatoes, sliced
2 cans black beans

Black beans, a favourite of mine, are not so easy to find here, but you can sometimes find them dried, in health food stores or the cans in 'ethnic' or Indian grocers. I made this once with borlotti beans but it doesn't taste or look quite as good as with black beans.

I just bunged them all in a large pot and cooked gently, stirring every now and then, until everything is heated through and the cheese is melted. It's meant to be quite thick but you may want to add a little more hot water.

Serve in bowls with some crushed (not too finely) tortilla chips in the bottom and with a bowl of extra tortilla chips on the table. It's especially nice, we found, with the wholegrain spicey ones from Tescos, but you choose!

If you want it devegetarianised, then lose one can of the black beans and the toms and replace with a cup of diced chicken. Very nice! Thanks for the idea, Emily

3 comments:

Emily said...

I love black beans! I like the way you tweaked it!!! I will have to try it that way next time!

Anonymous said...

What on earth is bunged beans?
This sounds like you might have to really scrub at the pot later {g}.
I was just asking dh a couple days ago what was in Tortilla Soup anyway? (Picturing a big bowl of cheese with round, flour tortillas floating . . . oh, no! Now I'm having those cheese cravings again . . . )

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I love tortillia soup but my recipe is time-consuming. I may have to try this this week.....Though I do have the masa harina waiting for my recipe....LOL