Usually, I'm a full-on Christmas Enthusiast, but this year, my 50th Christmas, I'm struggling to start to think about it. Christmas, for me, is usually the Triumph of Hope Over Experience! However, I think experience (and the memory of the hard work that goes into it for this Mum) is beginning to triumph over my usual hope that all will go well.
It's not that I'm forgetting the reason for the season, so I don't need that lecture, thanks. And I'm not about to ditch it because it's 'not biblical'. I've heard those arguments and am not persuaded by them. I really just need to be enthused again, so I can find the energy to get going thinking about it. I've SOOOO much else on my plate for the next month or so, that I can't yet, anyway. But come the middle of November, when I may have a little more time, people will begin asking me, as they always do, 'Ready for Christmas, yet?' And I won't be. I'll be exhausted from doing all the other things which are sapping my energy right now.
I don't know if I have another Christmas in me.
Does anyone know what I mean?
I think I might need a new perspective. (But not one which ditches Christmas. I'm no Puritan!{g})
Hey, maybe I need a Christmas Coach? A Holiday Mentor. Someone who will send me gentle reminders. Like,
'Come On Dorothy! Bake that Christmas Cake this weekend!' or
'Time to post those cards. You know, the ones still in the box on the shelf you forgot to post last year. Yes, those ones.' or
'Listen, Dorothy! Can't you hear those sleigh bells magically tinkling in the night air? Get in the spirit girl!'
Maybe my Christmas Coach can do some of the shopping for me. And the cooking. Um, maybe I just need to outsource my Christmas this year. Anyone want the job?
Dorothy
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Well..I'm a Christmas minimalist. I sorta take one day at a time. We recently have decided to keep Christmas very quiet and small this year, out of necessity both for our peace of mind and our pocketbook. We usually study the names of Jesus and I'm really looking forward to that. That is usually the highlight of Christmas for us. Gracie and I might do some crafting though...that should be fun. : ) ~Yvonne
If you find anyone to do the job, can you see if they have a friend to do mine too? I love Advent, and all the carols and run-up to Christmas, but the day itself always gets hijacked by family hype and emotional stress, so I could do without it really.
SURE! I love Christmas and thanks to all of the shopping I've had to do while fixing up the house I already started on a few purchases or at least have ideas which is 3/4 of the problem, imo!
Sure... I'll come help you get ready. I used to have a website for a Christmas countdown.. maybe I should find it. It included everything from cleaning your front porch to putting meals in the freezer!
I think we should all have Cindy come by and do our Christmas planning and organizing. Emily will handle the decorating.
Dorothy, you can just sit back and pour tea. Sounds heavenly.
I resist the rapid approach of Christmas because I can't STAND to have summer over. By the time the leaves are dropping their leaves (traitors) and the cold weather seems to have settled in (have to actually pack away those capris and sandles), I find myself resigned and then excited about Christmas.
Maybe you just need some holiday music to help get you in the mood. Pare down what isn't necessary and just focus on the Christmas activities you and your family love best.
there are actually a couple or three of websites which do that christmas countdown thing, including flylady - but I get cross with them for being so ... oh I don't know .. so ... do you remember 'the green goddess' at all? So THAT. And mumble bah humbug and go back to wishing I had it all covered.
It's when they exhort you cheerily in September to don your matching red outfits and get that holiday snap taken NOW - at discount! - that I tend to lose it ....
Jackie
Christmas cards! Oh no I think this means I have probably missed the overseas cut off once again - it is always sometime in October and I NEVER remember!
A Christmas Coach - yes that is a good idea.
I'm overwhelmed with Christmas this year. Please don't tell me it's coming yet, o.k.? I'm like the first poster. Love the holiday, just don't like the day. I worry that what I get everyone won't be remotely what they'd like or that the only thing they'll want will be out of budget. I'd love to just get one family gift this year but I know that the littles wouldn't understand that. Ack! I'm just not ready!
I tell you . . as much as I love my home decorated for the seasons and holiday's I have noticed as I have grown older it gets harder to do. I actually start to dread it as the time approaches . .. especially Christmas because we decorate so much. BUT once we begin there is no stopping us!! Let's all sing a couple Christmas songs . .. have a cup of Christmas Tea and think about Christmas pasts . . that always gets me in the mood for Christmas. I did start my Christmas shopping last week. 2 down . .many many to go!
I go through this every year.
Jan,
I remember, back when our family were still speaking to us, how they used to ruin Christmas every year. I do sympathise!
Cynthia,
You've got the job and I can't think of anyone better. Your enthusiasm for life is infectious!
Kathy,
Tea sounds great, but do I have to organise it? It sounds like I might have to bake cakes!{g}
Serenata,
Is it really that early for NZ? I know it's usually 6th Dec or something for N America. Good luck!
Lisa,
I'm praying for a smooth, low stress Christmas for you!
Emily,
YOu always make your home so inviting and beautiful. I hope to be you when I grow up.
Jen,
Let's pray for eachother!
Blessings to you all!
Christmas oh that's miles off yet....(please don't disagree and ruin my fantasy that I'm behind before I've even begun)!
Another one rather dreading it here!
Ok... I think I'll have to start a Countdown to Christmas something or other on my blog.. but you know the way I procrastinate getting everything "perfect"... yea.. well we'll probably be getting ready for Christmas 2008 (LOL)!
Dorothy, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I love Christmas, but this year has been so overwhelming that I just am dreading trying to fit in anything extra. I could say a lot more about this but this IS your blog! :-)
Post a Comment