Monday, October 01, 2007

Mean Mother Strikes Again!

One of the events I've organised this term for our home-education group was another day's river trip for the kayakers. Late September can go either way, warm and sunny or cold, wet and windy. Sadly, for the kids, it was a pretty rough day. It rained and it was cold and um... a bit stormy.

But hey! We'd paid and so they were going. {g} I'm so mean. They practiced in the 'white water' section with slalom poles.

They took shelter from the weather under a bridge and had their lunch. Grace (left) made a new friend.I was glad I'd packed some chocolate for them. It helped to provide the extra boost of energy they needed for the trip back home. Upriver. And against the wind.

Jack and James take their lunch very seriously.

But you know, this kind of experience builds character! {g}

My friend Christine and I had a really nice pub lunch, indoors. I think there was a log fire in the corner.
Anyway!I'm proud of them They didn't complain once. So I bought hot chocolate for them on the way home. They'd earned it.

9 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

LOL! I'm sure the experience was very good for them. Grew hair on their chests and all...LOL

Serenata said...

Wonderful!

Salar37_Shushan said...

Well, the stormy weather made for fantastic photos anyway. lol

;-)

Susan in Va

Debbie said...

Well, Dorothy, rain or no rain, you are providing the kids with such a tremendous full home experience. My guys would absolutely love something like this!

Way to go kids (ah...sorry, young adults)!

Cynthia said...

Brrrr..... nice of you to think of them whilst (LOL) sitting by a nice warm fire! Love hearing about the kayaking! We love doing that when we have a chance.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

We've never kayaked but this looks like a blast...minus the storm....but hey - think of all the character building that was accomplished in a few short hours. LOL

Jodi said...

I also think this looks like a blast. I am hoping to get a kayak for my kids one of these summers. hey charge so much to rent them around here you coud buy one for the price of 3 or 4 half hour rentals!

I agree you're giving your children a very full home ed experience, well done!

Emily said...

I think I am with you . . .lunch in the pub with a nice warm crackling fire!

Kathy in WA said...

Wow - this looks challenging and fun. Your children are devloping into quite the sporty duo. :)