Home Education is still quite unusual here. And many Christians do not approve of it. None of the churches we've attended over the last 10 years have ever had other HEing families in them and there is usually more than a faint whiff of disapproval when people find out what we are doing. This is difficult for us and sometimes painful.
Within the home-education community itself, there is only a small minority who are Christians. Most are ardent atheists, some passionate pagans, a few adherents of assorted other faiths and the occasional agnostic. We ourselves fell into that last category when we first started HEing 12 years ago.
So, the church is hostile to us for HEing and the HE community is hostile to us for being Christian. And worse, the HE community also abhors any sense of HEing parents *teaching* their kids. It's thought of as 'coercive' and even by some, 'fascist'.
Most HE'ers here are libertarian families who say they believe in 'autonomous' home-education. I'm not going to even attempt to explain this philosophy now because I've seen all kinds of extremes and varieties and they'd all refer to themselves as 'autonomous'. I think it's actually very hard to pin down what Autonomous families themselves mean by that. But the thing they can all agree on is that they are NOT people who teach their kids. Ugh! Certainly not!
The Autonomous tribe insist on calling those who are actively instructing our children 'Structured'. And the term is used, generally with a sneer, as a put-down. I'm pretty sure they'd like to believe that we all stand over our poor, oppressed children with whips, forcing them to learn Latin and Greek and memorise whole books of the Bible and lock them in a cupboard except for several hours of dull church on a Sunday.
Of course, in reality, those labelled as Structured do no such thing and most reject the label as inaccurate. In fact, for long periods, our days have not had nearly enough structure, I now realise. Fear of appearing Structured though and incurring the contempt (yes, I'd use a word as strong as that) of the hostile majority keeps new home-educators in thrall to Autonomous methods which are not always the best choice for their individual families.
And yet, if we examine the FACTS, we see that most HE'ing families do actually claim to do some 'structured work' with their children for at least part of the day.
This is a chart displaying the results of Paula Rothermel's research which we actually took part in. We were right in the middle there. Along with over half the other families in the research. The responses to the research were private. Forms filled in and returned in the post. Which leads me to wonder. Do people actively teach their children in secret? Are they so afraid of the peer-group pressure which says that parent-led education is evil and damaging and that only child-led educational activity is morally acceptable that they do it in private anyway, yet deny it in public? I suspect so.I hate not fitting in. I'm a natural conformer. {g} What can I say, I'm the eldest child from a large family. I'm destined to try to fit in and seek approval. {g} It has been enormously stressful for me to stand outside BOTH my communities (Christian and Home Education) and say,
'I know what's best for my children. And it's God who has led me to this position.'
And to take disapproval and hostility as a result. Very hard.
But, with God's help, I will complete this lonely journey.
13 comments:
'I know what's best for my children. And it's God who has led me to this position.'
This does seem to be the key, isn't it? I had no idea that the make up of homeschooling was so different in the UK than America. Here homeschooling was first popular in churches and thus those who are not Christian often have a hard time finding good support systems...and many Christian groups here are nearly all "traditional" or "text book oriented" and what I think you tern as "autonomous" is greatly frowned on. Yes, we do fall in the middle of your chart as well. We have structure, we have flexibility....as you said - we follow the path that God has led us to and we don't worry to much about the labels. It would be hard to be in your boat....you hang in there.
You summed up very nicely how I felt when home-educating, especially over the 'structured' versus 'autononmous' issues, not to mention other peoples views. We were lucky we had a couple of families who home-educated in our church at the time so got good support there. Hang on there Dorothy, you are doing a fantastic job and I really admire you. I think that it is common every where though when people say or indicate one thing, and yet in reality probably do, say or think something different. I call it 'The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome' TENCS ;-)
Ah, but Dorothy, you are not alone. You have all your SHS friends! This was a very interesting post. Thanks so much for sharing it!
DeEtta, It has been very hard indeed at times.
I'm not sure that you even *have* what we call Autonomous HE'ers in the US. You have 'Radical Unschoolers' but they seem to be very mild compared to the people I'm talking about here, who would even frown upon 'strewing' techniques as being too manipulative.
I'm a stanger in a strange land. {vbg}
Thanks for the encouragement, Lorraine and Linda.
I'm usually pretty self-confident as I see the fruits of my labours and really feel for those who have been let down by parents who are bound to ideas plainly failing their children.
But the last few weeks, weakened by illness, I've been subject to a few nasty attacks from others because of my beliefs. I just need a few more years of strength left! And the kids will be safely on their way!
Oh my, Dorothy, my hat goes off to you for being so strong in your convictions for so long....way to go! I don't think I would have been able to stand up against such strong opposition.
Dorothy, I struggle too with 'fessing up to actually teaching my children, although I am fortunate that many of my HE friends are Christians, although not actually the most local ones. Sometimes it does feel very lonely.
((Hugs)) for across the pond. :)
AMEN!AMEN!AMEN! I totally understand where you are coming from - this has been our experience exactly! To such a degree that it could have been me writing that. (except that you write it much better than I could have!) Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will help others to not feel so alone with the condemnation from both sides!!!
You know I'm right with you as well, Dorothy. In fact, I'm probably a leeeeeeeeetle off to the left.
We are still 'alone' out here - every time I just nearly join in something local, it turns out to involve wands or some form of pagan rite :0( Serves me right for living in wierdsville, wilts., I suppose!)
I'm sorry you've been feeling down about it - I always have a vision of you solidly surrounded by lovely christian he-ers (while I drown in self pity among the tree people LOL) - and admire you for co ordinating all the things you do.
Lets hope you feel well soon - your children certainly are a credit to you, and your faithfulness.
Jackie
Jackie,
There *are* Christian HE'ers about but we have to drive quite a way to see eachother. I am grateful for e-groups though.{g}
We are much further to the left now the kids are older (probably about a 3 on that scale!), but at the time they were quite young, so we were right in the middle!
What I find discouraging is when there is criticism and judgment within the Christian hsing community. As much as I prefer, in theory, the company of Christian hsers to secular hsers, at least I can go into a secular group and expect some dissension.
I'm trying to find a balance here with potential new groups--we went from being "structured" compared to others in Colorado; here we would fall under the "funschoolers" label--even though we haven't changed anything! But the people are very nice and inclusive. Perhaps I can be an encouragement to those who might want to "break out" of the box!
Your one line summed it up well. It's sort of funny that right as I was reading this my dh came in to see if I was STILL reading the same blog for over an hour (LOL)! I said yep.. my friend from across the pond! I'm a bit of an odd ball in our circle of friends as well...
Post a Comment