Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Monday at home! Yay!

Phew! After our busy weekend, it was useful to spend a day at home. Grace and Jack had typically varied reactions to that. Grace was relieved and very content to spend her time after 'schoolwork' drawing and listening to music in her room. Jack, was raring to go again and was excited to be heading out the door to bowling and quasar with the Scouts and Explorers. He doesn't seem to need down time. Or alone time. Or debriefing. Or De-stressing. "What's stress again, Mum?"

I spent the time, not leading Grace through Maths, catching up with laundry and phone calls and starting to find books and reply to email orders for my small books business. Then I had to stop and tidy up as we were expecting a visit fom two Special Needs specialists from the Connexions Service (careers and Further Education advice for people aged 13-19). Jamie was coming home from work early. They were due at 4.30pm.

Realising I was in my sloppy 'at home' clothes and had no make-up and not even brushed my hair yet, I dashed upstairs to make myself look presentable. I had pulled a brush through my hair and was changing my clothes and had mascara on one eye when I heard knocking on the door. It was 4.10 and Jamie wasn't even home yet! Jack was in his room, playing electric guitar and listening to music with headphones on - yes, at the same time. Grace hovered in my bedroom doorway panicking and refusing to answer the door for me. She does that. It's an ASD thing. So it was up to me.

I tumbled downstairs pulling my socks on and let them in just as Jamie arrived. With half my make-up on. :sigh:

It was actually a pretty productive and helpful meeting, which I wasn't expecting. (I have a cynical streak.) We got lots of information about what's on offer in Oxfordshire for young people with Grace's dx and have a number of leads to follow up. The annoying thing was how little understanding they had of home-educated children or how HE works. They kept telling us how Grace needed some social interraction to help her develop social skills. At one point, we had to stop the interview and set them straight on how much interraction Grace has with people. I think they started to believe us but it's always so irritating when people insist on believing that no school=lack of socialising opportunities. I've worked blooming hard to make sure that is not the case in my 10 years of HE!

But apart from that, it was useful and informative. We are feeling a little more positive about Grace's future every day.

Jamie went to a music leaders' meeting with the pastor, Jack won at bowling and Quazar (as per usual), Grace sang and drew (to decompress from the stressful meeting) and watched Eastenders with me. I've only just started letting her watch it and I sneakily use it as a life-skills lesson, though she has no idea what we are doing. We talk about people's motivations, always so incomprehensible to Grace.

"Why does Honey not love her baby with Downs Syndrome? If I had a baby like that, I'd love her even more because she'd need my love more than an ordinary baby." That from a girl with autism. A hard lump at the back of my throat. I was so proud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dd won't answer the door either. I know many people think she's the way she is because we hs.

I'm thankful that you found the meeting helpful and productive.

Kristine

Anonymous said...

Glad your meeting went well. I got quite a chuckle out of the half makeup sprint for the door. {G}

An awesome comment from Gracie. Actually brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Dorothy,
I've had to do the 1/2 makeup on thing a few times myself (LOL)! Oh.. and my younger kids don't like to go the door either. Glad you feel like the meeting was productive.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you may have some helpful resources in the community for Grace. It sounds like the type of thing which could really help. Good that you took the time to set them straight about home education.

Loved her comment about Honey's baby. We lag 5 weeks behind you (but I am horrible and read spoilers), I think the same as Grace about the baby. I do hope they end up keeping Petal and all turns out well for Billy and Honey's relationship.. but I suppose that would not be typical Eastenders, for things to go well!

I was just recently thinking that I should have Trevor watch more of the sorts of tv that might help him understand lifestyles and relationships. He tends towards science documentaries and star trek, which will only help if he wants to be a scientist in futuristic outer space I guess!