Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cheese Scones

I've been making these wholewheat cheese scones for about 20 years now. They are delicious! Here's the recipe, which is from Cooking With Stones. Stones is the name of a vegetarian restaurant at Avebury Stone Circle.

The cheese you need for this is strong/mature English, Canadian or Irish cheddar. I wouldn't even bother trying to make it with anything less.

Cheese Scones
1 lb (450 g) wholewheat flour
1 lb (450 g) plain flour
4 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry English mustard, if you have any
8 ozs (200 ) butter or margarine
1 1/2 lbs (700 g) good strong cheddar cheese
4 eggs, beaten
milk for brushing tops
extra cheese for tops ( a mix of cheddar and Parmesan is nice)

Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in the fat until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Stir in the eggs and enough milk to form a firm dough, soft but not sticky.

Roll out dough to 1 inch thickness and cut out with a 2 inch scone cutter.

Brush each with milk and top with a generous pinch of grated cheese.

Bake on greased or lined trays at 160*C / 325 *F for about 20 minutes.

Getting ready for the oven.

Out they come, the little darlings. Nice eaten hot, split and buttered or cold for breakfast!

But best of all, they go perfectly with my Poverty Soup.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dorothy,

This looks like a wonderful meal. I will definately be trying it!!!! With teenagers in the house I am always feeding more then mine these days--especially with Brady not around!!!

Rachel in Maryland

Emily said...

Oh my goodness Dorothy . . that soup and the cheese scones look amazing . . I can almost taste them now. Catching up on your blog today . . . I am so writing down those recipes!!!!!!!!!!
Blessings!
Emily

Autumn said...

Yum! I shall be making these :)
AR x

Laura said...

I know I already said how yummy the soup and scones are... but MY GOODNESS! Those photos of the scones are making my mouth water! Yum!

Cynthia said...

Those look DELICIOUS!