Word Alive is a Christian Conference which used to be held during the final week of Spring Harvest every year. After 15 years with Spring Harvest, Word Alive is now a separate event. Its focus is on evangelical Bible teaching and we certainly had plenty of that.
The main teacher was Don Carson who was teaching from 1 John over 5 days. But there was also some awesome teaching by John Piper on Suffering. Jamie and I chose seminars on the Trinity by Mike Reeves from the Merrie Theologian. We also went to talks by Richard Cunningham from UCCF and Hugh Palmer from All Souls, Langham Place.
We had some wonderful music/worship too from Phatfish, Keith and Kristen Getty and Stuart Townend. Townend and Getty wrote the massively popular song, In Christ Alone, which pretty much sums up our doctrinal position. {vbg} Grace had a long chat with Lou Fellingham after one of her gigs and that made her year! She was very sweet to my star-struck daughter and encouraged her in her worship singing.
Word Alive was a huge improvement on the increasingly frothy Spring Harvests we've been to. It was a good thing to get back to orthodox conservative evangelical theology and constantly looking at what the Bible says instead of: laughing at funny speakers, listening to people's weird interpretations, being distracted by bizarre 'worship dancing' during the music and all the other Spring Harvest 'stuff'.
However, there was a little *too* much emphasis on the intellect and the cerebral response to God and not enough encouragement to experience Him and worship Him wholeheartedly. Things were soooo intellectual, that at one point, Jamie and I snuck out the back of one marquee because the speaker, Mike Ovey, Principle of Oak Hill Theological College was using words we'd never heard of before and we weren't understanding any of it. {vbg}
Grace and Jack had their own Youth Track which they were fully engaged with. There was a particular VIDEO which they were shown which absolutely blew them away. I watched it when we got home and promptly burst into tears. I was so glad that they had been taught appropriately to their ages and thankful that God had spoken so powerfully through the godly leaders and things like this video.
Grace opted one day for a seminar on how to talk to your muslim friends about Jesus. I asked if she had any muslim friends. She said no, but if she ever did, she'd know what to say. {g} Jack went to a seminar about how to spot the meta-message in popular culture. This site, Culture Watch is useful.
All in all it was a Good Experience. Getting away fro our little town, being with 6,000 other believers, at least half of whom were university students, seeing some of God's Creation, getting fed some spiritual meat, hearing fabulous worship music, resting, engaging our brains, seeing the kids so happy. I'm so grateful to God that He provided the money to be able to book this holiday and hope and pray that we we'll be able to go again next year.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Dorothy...I understand about the intellectual thing. Sadly, our pastor does the same thing. He's a big fan of Piper, MacArthur, etc... who all intellectualize everything and even say that the emotional response to the Lord (ie. worshipping him with all your, experiencing Him, etc...) is less and in some cases "wrong." I'm the first to admit that I don't completely understand it. But anyway, your comment just struck a chord with me. Love you!
It sounds like all in all it was a good experience. I find it invigorating to be a with a big group of believers every so often.
Our older girls are part of a choir, puppet ministry, and drama team - so each year we go to the Christian Performing Arts Drama Festival. This year, a group of kids performed the skit that your children were shown the video of. It is very powerful and so moving!
What a wonderful thing your conference sounds like! I am glad you all enjoyed it!
Emily - SHS
www.homeschoolblogger.com/mom24wonders
Dorothy - wow! What an amazing sounding conference. I love that video from Lifehouse. Have watched it several times with the children. It never fails to bring me to tears!
Dh tends to lean more toward the intellectual than the, for lack of a better word, emotional, aspect of worship. Is interesting to think about how both aspects are important if we are to love God with our whole heart, soul, and mind.
I read something a few months ago (was skimming a book) that suggested God speaks to us through our love languages and it is going to look different for different people. I thought it was intriguing.
You made me laugh about Mike Ovey using "big words." Haven't heard of him but now I'm intrigued. :)
Glad to hear that you had such a nice break.
One mystery series I have read is set in Wales. I like to think I am reading the Welsh words correctly but I'm sure that I am not!
Glad you enjoyed it.
Someone kept using words I couldn't understand like 'Pwllheli'... I guess Bible College principles are trained to use long words - hopefully it draws people on to learn more.
I certainly felt like I was enjoying God through the preaching of Virgo and the times of worship that Sam & Lisa led... we were going for it wholeheartedly in the part of the marquee where I was standing :)
I'm glad you liked Virgo. I just couldn't come to grips with him. He seemed to be wandering all over the place. Piper was more my cup of tea! {g}
I'm glad you found a spot in the marquee where the soul survivor band were appreciated. We were up in the parents area where we were all anxiously awaiting a cardboard summons from the kids' groups. Which actually happened to us. Grace had fainted...
I checked your profile, Mr BlueFish. You are on a heck of a lot of blogs!{g}
Post a Comment