Saturday, April 26, 2008

Poverty Soup

This soup just evolved over my entire life. My mother and grandmother made a lentil and vegetable soup with a ham bone, but as I married a vegetarian, I adapted the soup and made it vegetarian. One of my childhood memories is being sent to the Butcher's shop for a ham bone to make soup with. There was always a little meat on it which was placed in the centre of the table to go with the lentil soup.

Here's my vegie version.

Why the name? Lentil and vegetable soup is probably the cheapest (nutritious) meal you can make. It's packed with nutrients, is very tasty and filling and goes perfectly with my wholewheat cheese scones.{g}

Ingredients are very approximate. It's a forgiving kind of soup!

Poverty Soup
The top 1/3 of a head of celery. You want the leafy bits too.
1 onion
1/2 a butternut squash
About 1/4 of a swede (turnip/rutabaga)
4 carrots
A few potatoes (not shown)
1 cup red lentils
3 pints of good quality vegetable stock. I prefer Marigold.
Chop roughly and throw in a large pot.
Add the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the lentils and veg are tender.
There it is!
Perfect combination!
Serves 6.
But if you have a bunch more people coming to dinner, just add more stock and potatoes!

5 comments:

Linda said...

If I had married a vegetarian, he would be dead of malnourishment by now. LOL! Those scones look fabulous! Didn't someone on
SHS say she KNEW you were sitting around eating scones over there? Uh, huh!

Alexandra said...

Oh, that looks so delicious! I need to make this soon, and the scones look so yummy. Thanks for sharing these recipes.

Autumn said...

I have my own version of this soup, too, minus the celery which we all hate! Marigold stock is great, as it is gluten-free, and my hubby is on a gluten-free diet.

I found you through Alexandra at Happy Hearts at Home. Nice to meet you :) I have a home-making blog here: http://bloomingathome.wordpress.com/

AR xx

Laura said...

Wow!
Your soup and scones look SO yummy!!! And I love the way you took photos of the steps in making the soup. Wonderful!!!

Cynthia said...

Looks YUMMY! It's been SO COLD here that I'm thinking a pot of soup might be nice this evening!