Whilst we were away in Derbyshire communing with God and nature, we stayed in a Youth Hostel family room. With nothing to do in the evening, we listened to John Piper sermons on mp3 (as you do). There was a terrific one entitled 'You never lose your sheepness' or something. The basic thrust was that all human beings resemble sheep in many ways and we all need a Shepherd to guide us or we end up in Big Trouble.
However, unless you live in an agrarian culture, or somewhere there's a lot of sheep, you are apt to miss out on all the implications of the sheep/shepherd references in the Bible. Here to help you, if you live in a city, is a vivid illustration of how a sheep's desire to find the best grazing led him into trouble. These sheep are on a very steep slope.
And here's one at the bottom that lost its footing. This poor sheep had no shepherd guiding it.
And that is the thing about sheep.Actually, I'm thinking that Jackie, my homesteading friend, could probably add a lot more insight than that. I hope she does!
3 comments:
The other thing about sheep is, they give up - they get cast, and they just lie there, and die. And yet if the shepherd comes toward them, nine times out of ten, they panic, and in their panic, they get up! Sometimes, we know what we need to do, but it takes Jesus to make us do it?
And another thing (you knew I'd do this, didn't you?!) - do you know that you have a flock of sheep, because at the approach of the dog, or shepherd, they will all flock together, but a herd of goats or swine, because they scatter to the winds, each doing their own thing. Sorts the sheep from the goats, eh?
Anyway, I am not best equipped for this sort of thing, but for anyone who hasn't heard of him, can I commend the writing of Phillip Keller - Lessons from a Sheepdog, etc.
Jackie
Thanks, Jackie! I must read that book. I've read his, 'A shepherd looks at Psalm 23'. It was very good.
Our pastor just did a sermon on the sheep a few weeks ago and used some very funny video clips to get the points across...
Post a Comment