Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Grand Little Town

Jamie and I really like exploring new towns. Since we were in Derbyshire last weekend, we thought we'd have a look round Buxton, a Victorian spa town which has lost much of its splendour but is just about to be completely renovated and updated. The spa house will re-open as will a big new hotel and concert venue. It'll be interesting to come back again in a few years to see how it all turned out. It'll probably look more like Bath does now.

Can you believe this small town even has its own Opera House?

The Victorian Arcade was fun.
Grace discovered the Chocolatiers.
There were some unusual shops.And a beautiful park in the middle of the town, which had recently been completely restored and was being well used by families on this hot Saturday afternoon.
We loved the bandstand!
And finished up with a 'promenade' before finding some ice-cream.
I've almost finished posting pictures from last weekend. I think I'm taking refuge in escapism because things are difficult here at the moment, with one thing and another. I'm actually quite stressed, but trying to stay calm.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

looks like a fun outing. So many nice towns to explore.

Cynthia said...

Did you say the WHOLE town is going to be renovated.. wow.. that will be some undertaking.