Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Day in the Country

After trying out a new church for the second time on Sunday, we drove for about an hour to Dunstable Downs to meet up with some other home-educating friends.

The teenagers were on a long walk (well, 6 miles) from Ivinghoe Beacon to the Chiltern Gateway Centre up on Dunstable Downs. On a clear day, you can see 6 counties from the hill top. It wasn't a clear day. In fact the centre itself was shrouded in mist when we got there. And it was raining hard.

Grace and Jack were relieved to not have been able to go with the other kids and content to meet them at the centre. {g} They were happily munching chips when a plaintive phone call came through from the group of 13 kids, who were lost, after having taken a wrong turn with the map.


Several parents with cars drove off to rescue them! Soon, they were drying off and eating lunch together.Our friend J will not be here much longer, as she is leaving shortly to continue her education in Montana. We are going to miss her!There was this odd coffin-like structure near the building. Apparently, it's a wind-catcher.
No really, the wind coming up the hill is used to moderate the temps in the building on the hill.
After lunch, the mists and rain disappeared and we all got outside for some more fun. Grace and Jack at the front of the picture below. Jack and W mess about with sticks. Inevitably.
And some kite-flying occurred.
Here are some of the parents as the clouds rolled in again. Maragaret, the one who pulled this gathering together is in the centre and Jamie on the right.
As it began to rain again (the story of this summer, again) we ran for our cars and home.


We are all so going to miss being a part of this group. Most of the people here, I've known for 10 years at least. Margaret, I've known for 12 years. But eventually, their kids get educated and move on to college or university. You can't stop that process!{g}

Margaret informed us that one of the new Big Brother participants is an old home-edding aquaintance. {sigh!} For the first time, since the first series, I turned on BB to see what what going on. The whole house was complaining about B's snoring. How mortifying. Why would you want to be on tv, so the whole world knows about your embarassing snoring problem? TV Celeb Obsession is mystifying to me.

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

What beautiful views!

Gayle said...

Dorothy, your day sounded wonderful. It makes me miss my homeschooling days with my boys. We were involved in a local group that did a lot of activities together. I started that group when I moved here 7 years ago and it is still going strong (even without me). The pics are great.

Cynthia said...

Brrrr.... that does sound like a cold hike.

Jodi said...

Stunning views, too bad about the rain. Still, looks like a lot of fun was had!

Kristine said...

Beautiful, beautiful. When I was a young teenager, I began reading James Herriott. He thrilled me with his simpleness of life in a time and place unlike anything I'd ever known (Suburban California girl!). This is exactly what I pictured in my mind (with a few sheep and a stone wall thrown in!).