What a palaver! So much stuff! No, I'm not the basic, sleep-under-the-stars-and-dig-your-own-latrine-in-the-woods, type of camper, I'm afraid. We have a tent, tables, chairs, air mattresses etc. But it does seem a lot for just two nights away.
We needed the distraction and Jamie needed some rest. Jack didn't know anything about it. He'd gone to an Athletics competition and Jamie picked him up and brought him back here. He knew something was up though.
Grace and I set up camp while Jamie was gone. This tent is a pain in the neck to erect and put away. But fortunately, we had glorious sunshine to do it in!
Our campsite was very quiet and pretty. It had the best showers I've ever seen in a campsite! There was an indoor pool on site too, which the kids made use of. The Tenter's Kitchen had a covered picnic table area to eat in if it rained, a microwave and a freezer for freezing your cool packs! What luxury. I'm definitely liking 5 Star camping!
Jack doesn't like mornings though.
Or being photographed as soon as he wakes up.We played some games.
Went for walks by the river.
The River Thames that is.
Where we saw all kinds of craft such as this electric punt.
I had to bribe them to stand still for this photo because normally...

...they do this.

15 comments:
LOVE that new header photo - perhaps we should do smilebox album of P****D off teenagers? :lol:
Camp ground looks good and we're not light packers for camping either.
Looking forward to seeing you next month.
Ooh, where is that campsite, it looks lovely!
The River Thames is so beautiful. I would love to visit again...my sister has been living in England for almost three years, I still haven't gotten our passports. I'm dragging my feet because I dread traveling with a two year old! She and her family visit here two times a year, so we still get to see them. I was in middle school the last time we visited England.
Thanks for sharing. It looked like a wonderful trip.
That campground sounds great! We are just getting ourselves kitted out for camping. We found some big pop up tents that can zip together to make a bigger tent. I can't do the put up tent thing. Till now I've insisted on 'camping' in a hotel if we go away! LOL! But I'm giving it a try, with all the air mattress, camp stove, etc. like you. Where is that one, in case we try to go down south for a camping trip?
FUN! I wish we could get away to do more camping!
What a wonderful spot you had. I love the river and the narrow boat. We have boats similar here, although not qutie that narrow, they are called canal boats.
I hope you all had a refreshing and relaxing time.
Hi Folks, the campsite was Lincoln Farm Park : http://www.lincolnfarmpark.co.uk/ in Standlake, Oxforshire. It's ideal for exploring Oxford, if you've never been there before. It cost us £20 per night, but Grace counted as an adult.
There's no way we could have got a hotel for that little and anyway the kids like the concept of camping. I'm just grateful that at 17 and 14 they still enjoy going away with us at all! {g}
Debbie, they are called canal boats here too (but I'd never seen one not on a canal before!) and some people still live in them! That was part of the Thames Path. You know that there is a footpath right along side the whole length of the River Thames, even through London!
Alexandra, I've flown with 2 year olds, so I know what you mean, but the pain is relatively short! Though in our case it was the other passengers I always felt sorry for! Would you be able to fly direct or would changing planes be involved?
Mrs Wookie, I know, it's not the most flattering picture of the kids, but hey, if they insist on doing that when I take pictures...!{g}
That looks like a campsite even I could deal with. A pool and quite a few conveniences!
Seems like you had a great family time. Lots of fun photos.
I feel a need to do more family time things too since my kids are getting older. Thankfully Trevor is not being such a hermit these days and can usually be seen enjoying himself,... somewhat. His latest obsession is that we need to take a trip in an RV, LOL. No idea why that got stuck in his mind but he mentions it daily.
Dorothy, are the footpaths old towpaths? We live very close to the Erie and Champlain canals and large sections of the old towpaths have been converted to bike/walking trails. I just love the idea of living on a boat...maybe, I've never done it, but love going up and down the canal and locking through.
It looks like a lovely spot.
Debbie.
Yes, I believe that many sections of the Thames Path which runs from its source in the Cotwolds, through Oxford and other cities, all the way to London and the sea, were towpaths originally. The Thames has always been used to carry goods, until recently. No locks though, fortunately!
The Erie Canal is very famous. Have you travelled on a canal boat through the locks?
When the kids were little we used to love to watch canal locks filling up and helping to open the gates and let the boats through.{g}There are a LOT of canals in this country!
Dorothy, we have not gone on any of the canal boats, but we have gone through with our small cabin cruiser. It is a lot of fun riding the water up and down.
One of the locks on the Champlain canal is only about 10 miles from us and it is a favortie picnic spot for us. A good friend from church is a lock master and he explained the whole process to us one time. It is very interesting.
It is a dream of Brian's to one day go up the Champlain Canal into Lake Champlain, then into the St. Lawrence Sea Way and into the Great Lakes and then back down The Erie Canal home.
What a great spot for camping! How fun to surprise Jack!
Looks like a wonderful camping spot! We haven't been camping in years. But we live in Florida. (And we're wimps.)
LOL
I think we would fly direct...my two year old is a screamer...ear piercing high pitched girly screams. I'd be afraid we'd be arrested at the other end! LOL. She really is quite good natured, but very particular about her sleeping and eating arrangements. We'd be flying overnight, and I think we'll wait until she is just a wee bit older. She is also still in diapers, and I'm old, tired...and a wimp. ;)
Post a Comment