Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Simple Woman's Daybook Episode 1

I got the idea of this meme from The Simple Woman's Daybook but I haven't joined the list of people participating because I'm not sure I'm simple enough. I don't even know what people mean when they say they lead a simple life. I suspect that 'simple' is a code word for something, but I'm not sufficiently In The Know to know what it is.

But I like the meme and might do it regularly.{g} Oh, ust remembered that I first saw the meme on Kathryn's blog!

Outside My Window...
My cat is stalking a family of sparrows in the drenched garden. This garden is past its best already. The rain is making the remaining strawberries mouldy and my lettuces have bolted. The buddleia is hanging forlornly over everything. Dripping.

I am thinking...
I REALLY need to get dressed and on with my day.

I am thankful for...
My friends. I've been thinking a lot about friendship recently as we leave our old church and our home-education group. I'm not very good at making new friends or maintaining old friendships. As I get older, I get somewhat better, but I really need to improve on this. And that I finally had the results of my skin biopsy. Whatever this thing is, and no one knows yet, it is not anything that can kill me.

From the kitchen...
The dirty breakfast dishes are calling and then I hope to make something nice for dinner, home-made vegie burgers are in the back of my mind. Something involving black beans and red peppers.

I am wearing...
Um...my pink pyjamas {blush!}

I am creating...
Two scrapbooked photo albums for the kids with pictures from their home-ed journey. I'm using Smilebox and printing the 8x8 pages myself. Yay! I'm digiscrapping. I love to say that: digiscrap. It sounds like a swearword. I might start saying it next time I drop something heavy on my foot. Which should be sometime later today, as Grace has taken to leaving things precariously perched in the fridge and just closing the door on them. It's usually me who opens the door later. Last time, a large jar of mayonnaise fell on my foot. I wonder what it will be next. The tub of houmous maybe?

I am going...
Out to a garden centre to meet a friend for lunch later. It's only now, after 17 years of parenthood, that I am finally able to leave the kids for a short while during the day for things like this. It's still such a novelty that I am really excited! I'm finally a 'lady what lunches'!

I am reading...
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. Honest! I've been meaning to read it for about 30 years. But I'm finding it depressing. I hope there's a happy ending! I'm also now understanding why it hasn't been made into a blockbuster movie. It's all about ideas. Ideas about which I am totally clueless. I'm not even sure I WANT to understand nihilism.

I am hoping...
To get some more painting done later today. I'm in the middle of a frenzy of redecorating and am currently half way up the stairwell. It looks better, fresher and cleaner round here. Jamie tackled the large radiator for me though, as I was a bit frightened by the prospect of stripping the (10 layers of) paint off that.

I am hearing...
Jack getting his new bike out for a cycle before schoolwork and Grace in the shower before me. Oh no! Now I have to wait at least another 30 minutes to get in there!

Around the house...
I see so many chores needing my attention. The ironing board is out in the living room, clutter on the stairs awaiting homes, official forms on my desk needing to be filled in and returned to the government, wet laundry around the house unable to be hung outside as Britain seems to have developed a Monsoon season. Winter=dry season, summer=wet season.

One of my favorite things...
My new cake stand, pictured a couple of days ago and given to me by a friend.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week:
Decorating, mending clothes (all Jack's), a meeting with the elders from church to explain our reasons for leaving, plans for putting on a worship concert in our town, visiting some potential venues, working on those scrapbooks, finding a book which Grace wants to read but I think must be in the loft, or possibly in Birmingham, cleaning the bathroom.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing:

My bathroom after I clean it.

I wish.

Sadly this is NOT my bathroom.

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love your thoughts! Digiscrap... I never thought of it sounding like a swear word until you mentioned it. Now I like it. lol Enjoy being a lady who lunches! I feel backward because when our older girls were home I could do this, but now I'm back to having just an 11 yo at home so I'll again be a lady who lunches in a few years. :)

Renee said...

Phew, glad that is not your bathroom. If it was, I would wonder what's wrong with your family that you were even capable of getting it that clean :)

The Bookworm said...

Whatever a Simple Woman is, I'm sure I'm not one. And reading your list is enough to know that neither are you. I'm quite sure a Simple Woman would known whether a book was in her loft or Birmingham!

Alexandra said...

I like that bathroom! I enjoy minimalism in bathrooms, but I never have it! I clean it out, and the stuff creeps right back into the shelves.

I have this fantasy of having one of those ultra modern concrete bathrooms with a concrete tub, or a huge walk-in shower, where all you have to do is spray everything down with a hose. It's always clean and uncluttered. Sigh...

Debbie said...

This is a great meme, Dorothy. I might try it, if I can remember.

Jodi said...

Fun one, I too was just about to say WOW what a clean bathroom! LOL

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Digiscrap - a swear word - I love it! I like to say the word because it makes me feel like a part of that big scapping world - and yet I feel techie and creative.....they don't NEED to know it's drag and drop. ::snort::

Kristine said...

Well, it DOES look like your feet would have to be dangling in the tub if one were sitting on the toilet! And you'd have to worry about little boys falling in--the tub!

Unknown said...

I am glad that is not your bathroom. You'd have to stand in the tub to brush your teeth! And you'd have to dangle your feet in the tub while sitting on the - what do you call it in the UK - ?loo? :::giggle:::

Which reminds me - I call the little room in the master bathroom that has just the toilet the "water closet" and Steve keeps telling me to use American words. :^)

Unknown said...

I am glad that is not your bathroom. You'd have to stand in the tub to brush your teeth! And you'd have to dangle your feet in the tub while sitting on the - what do you call it in the UK - ?loo? :::giggle:::

Which reminds me - I call the little room in the master bathroom that has just the toilet the "water closet" and Steve keeps telling me to use American words. :^)