Friday, July 25, 2008

First and Last

The first day of Jack's new freedom! A new bike, a good one, that he waited so long for. Now he has much more freedom. Just in time for the summer off from schoolwork. He's the only 14 year old in our town who wears a helmet, but his mummy insists. Here he is, looking suitably humiliated. And this was Grace on her very last day of school / home-education. She is 17 and will be going to FE college 3-4 days a week in September. Which counts as full time.
She did ask me if we could still do 'sofa school' with me on her day off! (Bible, and reading aloud together!) I didn't do that this past academic year so they kids would have time to concentrate on their own studies and learn more independently. But Grace misses it and has asked to return to it! I don't think she likes the idea of our long home-ed journey being over. {g}

Perhaps it isn't, then?

9 comments:

Jan said...

I really hope my children still like being read to when they are 17 - I'm sure I will still like reading to them.

Missus Wookie said...

Sofa school is our favourite too. Good luck to Grace in her new venture... and to Jack (if it helps everyone here wears a helmet too!). Looking forward to seeing you soon :)

Romany said...

Jan,

I love reading aloud. I think that's why I wanted to be a teacher when I was a teenager! {g}

I'm hoping that, as a family, we will always want to read out loud to eachother extracts of the things we're reading!

The best thing about it when they were little is that one of them would always play with/brush my hair when I was reading. I wonder if I can persuade Grace to do that again! {g}

Romany said...

Good to hear that your two have to wear helmets too!

Looking forward to seeing you guys !

Oh Jan, have you figured out who Mrs Wookie is yet? Clue: you've been to her house. Ssssshhhhh, don't tell. It's a secret!

Jodi said...

Happy Summer!!!!!

All mine ages currenty ages 9-14 must wear helmets when riding their bikes too. Better to feel a bit silly than to have your head cracked open!

Cynthia said...

Good job on making him wear a helmet! we know too many incidents of serious injuries here so we all wear helmets all the time now.

And... won't it be fun to have sofa read aloud times for "fun" and not for school!

Kristine said...

My ds usually has to wear a helmet too, particularly after Cindy's dd's friend died in a longboarding accident last year.

Holly, right now, is not interested in reading aloud. I'm not pushing it, expecting that she'll come back to it. How wonderful to be looking forward to that time with Grace next year!

Chris said...

All of my kids wear helmets but it is my 15 year old gives me a hard time. The rule is no helmet, no wheels. It is a closed subject and he knows it.

I even make school kids put thier helmets on when I see thier halmets dangling from the handlebars or unfastened. I work at thier school so they mind me or I turn them in. Yeah, I can be tough.

Stephanie said...

We live next door to a physical therapist who used to manage care at a rehab facility. Hearing her stories has promised the kid (now 11) that she will wear one till the end of the ages. lol And, who ever said that home-ed has to end when some institution deems the next step? Home -ed is a lifestyle, and yours is just changing, rather than ending. :)