I'm still waking up early every morning thinking about our old (morning) church. The one we chose to leave a few weeks ago. And as I think about it, I get angrier and angrier. We've been treated very badly. And we weren't the only ones. We don't understand why God didn't protect this fellowship or how Christians can turn into 'a brood of vipers'. It's been a harrowing journey.
Lately, though, I've discovered many friends have been through similar experiences. That, in itself, it shocking! People just shake their heads and say things like, 'There's no such thing as a perfect church' and 'It just goes to show that we are all human.' But I can't help thinking that we need to be held to a higher standard when we are called to follow Jesus, that our communities should not simply mirror the world's. If we have the Spirit living within us, shouldn't we stand out as different?
I'm aware that there are non-Christians reading my blog, and have wondered how much to share about these church difficulties and the resulting pain here. But I don't want to pretend that my life is all hunky-dory because we are believers. Jesus doesn't promise that. In fact, He promises suffering. In some countries that suffering comes as persecution for following Him, and for some of us, it is a result of the realisation that this world is not our true home. We are caught up in restlessness and homesickness and longing for our real and eventual home.
So, how can I wake up and not slide into anger? Because anger leads to resentment and bitterness and I don't want to feed that possibility. I do tend to obsess over bad stuff in my life. I don't have all the answers yet, but I think some of them will come through praising God, leaning on Jesus and daring to trust other Christians again.
We're visiting a church today that is a radical, so Outside The Box we wonder if they even know there *is* a box, kind of church. We've been hoping this is for us, but we are nervous and hurt and need healing too. Grace and Jack are desperate to put down roots again and I really hope we can.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Praying that you have a good visit today as you search for a new home! I too have been through alot of hurt in the church. I too have had to deal with these types of thoughts and these decisions to not allow bitterness to set in. Just to encourage you that the healing does come. It may leave a scar, but that is only a reminder of what God has brought you through. Scars don't hurt, only wounds do! Right now you are wounded, but one day all that will be left to remind you is a scar that may twinge once in a long while! (((HUGS)))
We went through traumas with our church must be nearly 5 years ago now. Can't say they were similar to yours without knowing the full story, but do know the feeling of being first hurt and then angry. I was very involved in the music group in the church and we were stunned really by the way we were shrugged off at a time we needed the support. We are still without a church. Have tried several, but not found a home yet. I wam wondering whether we will eventually move before we find one. Praying that you will find a church that suits and where the children can put down roots and make new friends.
I hope it goes well, Dorothy. All I can counsel is take your time. We maybe did not take quite enough time - that's not to say we are unhappy where we are, only that it may turn out to be a short term part of God's plan for us, and in itself that feeling causes unrest, and the lack of 'roots'.
It remains to be seen. But I think we all feel desperate to put down the roots of fellowship, and have them watered with warmth and welcome, so it's terribly important to seek out God's will and ensure we planted ourselves aright!
Your radical church sounds interesting ....
Jackie
x
"But I can't help thinking that we need to be held to a higher standard when we are called to follow Jesus, that our communities should not simply mirror the world's. If we have the Spirit living within us, shouldn't we stand out as different?"
I so agree, my thoughts exactly! Keep searching and praying Dorothy, doors will open. Blessings to your family...offering up prayers. :)
How was it? Have been thinking of you and praying for you today.
Looking forward to hearing how your Sunday went. Hope all is well.
I think it's sort of like how some people treat family horribly when you would think that the ones you love would receive your best side. We had a horrible situation when leaving our church home going on four years ago now, and we have never had believers be so hateful to us. It's sad, but we have to remember that both statements that you made are true... we are all flawed as human beings, and we should be held to higher standards. I don't think people realize that the cat fights within the church is what is keeping a lot of nonbelievers out. Very sad.
I truly hope that you find a wonderful church home that helps you heal and gives you that secure "Family" feeling. We were lucky enough to find a place, though we did have some lovely transition church homes along the way. Many prayers...
Hoping you're able to find a new church home quickly! These things are tough.
Thanks, all of you for your encouraging comments. It's great to have such a brilliant bunch of people taking the time to drop by and say something helpful! I appreciate you all!
Post a Comment