We've been researching a move.
Not a big one, as Jamie will still need to be able to get to work. But any house move is significant, and has a price. So, it's a daunting prospect in many ways.
I grew up on the move. My father was in the RAF and we went where it sent us. I went to many different schools and have lived in many houses. Even since marrying, Jamie and I have tended to move every few years. Once we even emigrated, but that's a long story, not for this post.
My mother comes from a family of gypsies (yes, I know that's not the politically correct word these days, but that what my grandparents called themselves, so who am I to correct them?)
I love moving and I hate moving. Moving is in my DNA.
I hate staying anywhere longer than 3 or 4 years. I start to feel trapped and claustrophobic. Jamie is wonderfully accommodating to my desire to move on. He's always up for the challenge. Although it does get harder the older we get.{g}
We've always borne the needs of the kids in mind, since having them, and have moved as little as possible, but now it is approaching a good time to move again and we need to think about Grace's long-term future. It is likely she will always live with us. Most people with autism live with their families all their lives. However, if she is going to meet someone who wants to marry her (our prayer) it is not going to be here. God isn't going to drop a husband into her lap. We need to be proactive.
Jack is excited about the idea too. He feels he has outgrown this small town. He longs for bigger challenges and new opportunities.
So, we are researching a city nearby, called Milton Keynes. It's one of the very few created towns and cities in the UK. It was planned, rather than evolving naturally from medieval origins, like most cities here. It's different in many ways to most British cities. But we think it might meet all our needs for the next few years.
If we do move it won't be for another year, but there's lots to do, in the mean time, to prepare for selling our house. Jack has to complete this level of qualifications he's working on and Grace has another year of courses at her FE college. So, it will be challenging, this next year.{g} If you stick with us throughout the next year, you might see me go through a range of emotions! But I'm trusting we'll make it through, with your friendship to help us.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Milton Keynes is a lovely city to live in, I enjoyed my time there. Good transport to London too :)
I can understand why you feel the need to move; our children's needs are important. Praying that all falls into place for the move
Sounds exciting, Dorothy!
Sounds like an adventure!
I know how you feel. We moved every four years, and I've got a wanderlust as well. It's exciting to start a fresh, and explore new places.
I've got a handsome son. :) Unfortunately he is only eleven. A bit young for dating. Your daughter is so beautiful, and from what you describe, beautiful within as well. The right man will step forward into her life, I just know it.
Dorothy, I'll be praying with you and your family as you make upcoming decisions.
Seems like a good plan.
How exciting! I'm sure I have Romany in my blood as I start to feel hemmed in and claustrophobic as well. A move for me is well overdue having lived in the same place for 10 years now, longer than I have ever lived anywhere!
MK sounds a very good idea. Conveniently near Leighton Buzzard ;)
Post a Comment