Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Last Bridge

This is the oldest medieval bridge in Buckinghamshire and we found it by accident. It reminded me of Tennyson's poem. I could just imagine the lady's boat slipping silently under the bridge.Under tower and balcony,
By garden-wall and gallery,
A gleaming shape she floated by,
Dead-pale between the houses high,
Silent into Camelot.
Out upon the wharfs they came,
Knight and Burgher,
Lord and Dame,
And around the prow they read her name,
The Lady of Shalott.

And across the fields from the bridge, some Roman burial mounds.

See what happens when I try to go to Costco? I get distracted by history.

8 comments:

Renee said...

How do you not get distracted by history living in the UK? You have so much history all around you. The US is just not as interesting (imo) but we'll try to make do when we move back in a few weeks

The Bookworm said...

Ah! I know that bridge! One of my dad's cousins once made a sterling attempt to knock it down - with a motorbike, I think it was - but the bridge survived. That was in the days before the modern road bypassed it.

Romany said...

Kathryn

How funny that you know it! We've passed it so many times and never explored it before last week. It looks like there's a nice 4 mile circular walk you can do from that spot. Fancy meeting up en famille and trying it sometime?

Debbie said...

That is one of Bessie's favortie poems and what a terrific boat.

I agree with Renee about your history. We have a bit of it in our area, lots of American Revolution stuff, but not nearly as old as yours.

Unknown said...

Oh, to live in a place with such a rich history!

All I have around here is modern stuff. :::sigh::: You make me want to come visit, Dorothy.

Kristine said...

Such a picturesque bridge, and I can't imagine seeing Roman burial grounds! After growing up in California and living in Colorado, we consider "old" to be anything before 1850, lol.

At least it doesn't include me!

Romany said...

Oh I know. Toronto felt even newer than that!

I didn't realise that I had missed the historic landscape of Britain until we settled back here!

Cynthia said...

I LOVE your posts about your area and history!