Monday, September 08, 2008

Pembroke Castle

Ah, Wales. Land of my childhood.
I should have known better, really. It rains a lot in Wales.

We had gone for the excellent surfing in Pembrokeshire right on the South West coast. But the storms were so bad that the surf was blown flat and the lifeguards wouldn't let us surf. There was torrential flooding all over South Wales while we were away. Bridgend even declared a state of emergency. But we didn't actually have to be airlifted off rooftops, so I suppose it was okay.

We were hoping for SOME sun, though.

After a few days of disappointment, we started to go stir crazy in our shared Youth Hostel Room at Broadhaven. So we dragged ourselves out to the small town of Pembroke for the day.Well, you know, it does have some excellent old walls! Here's a house built into the bedrock. I liked that. It was a Flemish weaver's cotttage.

A seat commemorating the fact that Henry 7th, founder of the Tudor dynasty (which included Henry 8th and Elizabeth 1st), was born here at Pembroke Castle.

Formidable walls.I have a tendency to freak out when confronted with circular stone staircases, so I passed on the opportunity to climb these. Not so my adventurous family.
Ah, Lady Grace surveys her domain.
Yes, I don't even have to put people in the walls photos anymore. I'm completely blatant.
And that, my friends, was Pembroke.
You've seen it all now.

7 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

The Wookie will thank you, I mentioned Wales as a possible holiday destination (perhaps you gave me the idea) and he said, "Why? All it does is rain in Wales!"

Have sympathy for Ewok - he was camping near Wales all last week....

Kristine said...

Great pics; I am enjoying your walls, along with your tongue in cheek wall comments.

Would you please visit the Tower of London and take pictures? "We" would especially like photos of an axe used to cut off someone's head, or other torture device. I just read a book about the Tower to Trevor, and he would much prefer seeing photos from someone he "knows," rather than anonymous photos on an official website.

LOL.

I find your Welsh photos wonderful. My g-grandfather came from Wales, through Canada. Family lore says he wanted to join the Alaska gold rush. (This must have been in the late 1890s.) He ended up in Calgary, married my g-grandmother, and then moved to Seattle and drove a trolley. Somewhere packed away, I have many Welsh documents pertaining to land ownership. But of course I cannot read them!

bridget said...

That's it? I don't see a single raindrop in those photos. Perhaps you were exaggerating about the rain? ;)

I love your pictures, Dorothy. Please continue to post lots and lots for us poor Americans that never get to see such things!

Alexandra said...

I'm moving to Wales to live in that Flemish weaver's cottage! How romantic Wales is. We never got up that way. It's absolutely beautiful and I like the rain. I love the colors of Wales, all shades of gray and green, very restful.

The Bookworm said...

Oh my! You did pick the wrong place at the wrong time, weather wise. But they are very nice photos of walls :). My mother was always renowned for her photos of stones - I don't think she ever got as far as stones connected into walls.

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
I thought of you while on our trip to Canada a few weeks ago. We saw miles of rock walls. I took a picture just for YOU and posted it on my blog this afternoon!

Jodi said...

That was a lovely trip through Wales and I didn't even feel a drop of rain. LOL

Wonderful, wonderful photos.