Monday, September 22, 2008

Villages of Oxfordshire: Islip

Here's the first of an occasional series which might be of interest to my non-British readers! Islip is a small commuter village a few miles from Oxford. I love the Cotswold stone used in the buildings there.

Its main claim to fame is that Edward the Confessor was born here. Though not in this pub. I like old 'street furniture'.
Two rivers run through it.
And it has plenty of walls like this.
It would be a calm, tranquil village, were it not for the 'rat run' of routes through to Oxford which dart through its narrow lanes during rush hour.

4 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Beautiful! Nearly as good as receiving an assignment to Europe, I think. LOL

Cynthia said...

I love seeing the sights from your area.

Romany said...

We are lucky that there are lots of pretty villages near here.

Jodi said...

I do like that wall, with the fuzzy greenery climbing over!