Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wading Through Treacle

I've had such a difficult day. Everything I've tried to do, apart from help Jack with his coursework, has been like wading through treacle. Uphill.

I'm not going to go into details, because they involve being hampered at every turn by other people whom I can not name or publicly refer to, but it's left me nearly crying with frustration several times today. What is the matter with me? If I had a plate of macaroni cheese right now I'd throw it at a wall. If I didn't mind breaking the plate. And cleaning up the wall. And the carpet. Oh never mind.

Days like this make me think I am not destined (whatever that means) to accomplish anything outside being a mum and wifey. Maybe I should just stick to what I know and bury myself in hanging laundry and cleaning the oven. Wait. I don't do that. Hanging laundry and scrubbing the toilet. Wait...oh you get the picture.

Help me, Dear Readers!

I need to read stories of people who managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. You know the sort of thing, everyone called her an idiot, including her best friends, no one supported her, yet through difficulty, opposition and treacle, she eventually achieved something magnificent of World Renown.

Got any of those for me?

11 comments:

Yvonne said...

D, I'm sorry you're having a day like that. That's my life right now...and so I've purposely been reading stories of triumph. One of my favorites is:

"Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved," and it's sequal, "No Place to Cry: The Hurt and Healing of Sexual Abuse." Both are written by Doris VanStone and Erwin Lutzer. Autobiographical in nature, it tells the story of a young girl who was abused and forgotten and how she triumphed by the grace of God. She and Corrie ten Boom's "Hiding Place," inspire me to keep seeking, striving for God, and resting in His grace.

Love you!
Yvonne

The Bookworm said...

Nope. Will a virtual hug do instead?

{{{{{Dorothy}}}}}

Jan said...

Sorry, no wonderful stories, I'm struggling with just being a Mum and wifey at the moment, but I'm holding onto your good advice about tantrums, and waiting for the book you recommended to arrive from Amazon, and praying.

Bonni said...

Oh Dorothy,

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I'm sorry I have no good advice. I usually turn into a puddle of treacle (molasses?) when I encounter stress and opposition. It takes my wonderful husband to scoop up my messy self and put me back on the path. Does it help if I tell you I know how you feel? Probably not. I hope tomorrow is better. I hope things will turn in your favour.

Thinking of you,

Bonni

Alexandra said...

I listed a book written by a woman how writes devotionals. She had a difficult life which despite it's hardships overcame them with faith. It's under the post on Contentment. I can't remember her name right off hand and my internet is misbehaving tonight.

Being beat down is so frustrating, but it also has the effect of making one's resolve tougher. Especially if you have feisty Scottish blood in your veins! Don't let them keep you down, Dorothy! ((hugs)) and a poke to keep going. ;)

Serenata said...

So sorry you feel like this at the moment Dorothy. If you find any stories, I would like to read them to, no wait it will probably make me feel even more useless, I can't even manage being a mum and wifey, so not much hope for me.

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
Sorry. God must have great things in store for Satan to work so hard at defeating your efforts.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Dorothy, I have no great stories but I do believe this is spiritual warfare and I'm standing with you.

momma24 said...

Dorothy,
I have never met you and yet, I feel like you are a friend. I don't have any stories of triumph to tell; but, I see *you* and you are still standing.

I am and will continue to pray for you.

Romany said...

Thanks all, for your support.

Sorry about that tantrum!

Anonymous said...

Gladys Aylward?

or maybe George from the Famous Five?

Jackie
x