Thursday, September 04, 2008

Worship concerts


After prompting from God, Jamie and I, with input from the kids, have decided to continue to develop the concept of worship concerts for our town which we began in our last church. We had two successful concerts which were very well received and we were encouraged by local people to carry on with the work we started there. Nothing else like them happen anywhere near here.

Since breaking out of, or being pushed from, that church - it depends what kind of a day I'm having as to how I perceive it {g} - it has been hard to know how we could continue to be obedient to God's calling on our lives, time and gifts.

For weeks, we just prayed about it and couldn't figure out whether we were meant to continue or not. However, now we are convinced more than ever before that this is what God wants from us, even though it will be incredibly hard. This what our town needs. {sigh!}
I've been lying awake at night wondering why on earth God pushes me so far out of my comfort zone, so often. I get cold sweats thinking about spending so much of our own pathetic savings in getting it going. We'll have no margin left. At all. Either financially or in terms of time and energy.

And yet, this seems to be what we are being called to be obedient in. We need to be faithful to God, even though we don't understand how we will overcome the obstacles, because of the debt we owe our sweet Saviour.

The kids are VERY excited and want to be involved as much as possible. Jamie is committed and hopeful. He's a Glass Half Full guy, always! I'm the scared one. {g} Every family needs someone like me, I tell myself.

We've been gathering a band of committed Christian musicians, and to our slight surprise, they are very enthusiastic and trust us to make a good job of it! As plans get further advanced, I'll post the details here, although we're currently designing a website too.

We've drafted aims, and for anyone who's interested, here they are.

Life-Songs aims to provide for (Our Town):
~A series of regular, Saturday evening, high quality Worship Concerts, free to anyone who wants to come.
~Heartfelt Christian worship not associated with a particular church or denomination.
~A place of Christian unity, as we worship God together Encouragement and empowerment, driving worship out into the week.
~An initial opportunity for Seekers to encounter authentic Christian worship.
~To supplement, rather than compete with churches, which offer so much more than musical worship.
~
Life-Songs aims to provide for (our Town’s) worship musicians
~An opportunity for worship musicians to develop expertise and experience spiritual growth.
~A forum in which emerging or potential worship leaders can experiment and grow.
~A place of encouragement for young Christian musicians, where they can be mentored by older, experienced Christian musicians.
~A chance for worship musicians to explore and develop a theology of worship.
~An opportunity for potential worship musicians to experience forms of worship other than the traditional forms of their church or denomination.
~A place of encouragement, fellowship and prayer support specifically for them.

10 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

Wow! How exciting, I've frequently wondered about being driven from my comfort zone but the trip has usually been rewarding :pray: that it is for y'all too.

Serenata said...

I left a comment on the previous post, but perhaps it came across the wrong way as it hasn't appeared. So sorry if it was impolite, it wasn't meant to be.

This sounds like a brilliant idea and I pray that it goes really well for you. If only you lived closer, I would love to be involved in something like this.

Linda said...

Dorothy, this sounds SO awesome! If I lived anywhere near I would definitely be there!

Debbie said...

Dorothy, I think this is wonderful, but I can very much appreciate your feelings. I get them everytime God has called us to adopt again. We have lost all margin in all aspects of our lives, but He continues to bless us beyond belief and we can see those blessings so much more clearly without any earthly margin to rely upon.

Anyway, I will be praying for you and Jamie and the kids as you move forward this is very important and difficult task.

The Nowlin Family said...

Dorothy,
We will pray for all that God has put on your hearts concerning the worship concerts. May He be glorified and honored and praised and made known through your efforts. Your example of moving forth despite the "cost" is inspiring. We love you all!
Joelyn

Jodi said...

This sounds like a very good plan. Nice that it's a ministry you can do together as a family.

Romany said...

Serenata,

I know you aren't impolite!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Every now and then I get slightly wobbly about the whole thing. Especially about spending all our miniscule savings on something which may turn out to be a big flop...

Kristine said...

Oh, Dorothy, very, VERY exciting. It does make you wonder what God's ultimate plan is for this--and what His definition of success for it might be: For you (your family) to bend to His will? For it to touch one person? For it to be long lasting and touch many? Awesome to know that you are doing exactly what He's leading you to...

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
This sounds AWESOME! We'll be praying God's blessing and provision on the endeavor!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

This is awesome. Your goals look great. I'm so glad God is calling and you are following....will be praying as you begin to set these into motion in your town.