Oh it's always best the other way around, don't you think?{g}
First the bad news.
I was told at a seminar at Word Alive, on Special Kids in the Church, that an astonishing 80% of marriages, where one child has autism, breaks down and ends in divorce. I haven't had time to check the statistic, but going by the number of ASD kids I know who are being raised solely by mum, this does not surprise me at all.
It's no surprise because of the intense pressure parents are put under for the whole of the child's life, but it's a truly horrifying fact that so many Dads just give up and leave when life gets truly hard. Because that then leaves the mother (and yes it is almost always this way around) having to cope with an even harder situation because she is now alone, and the child, already vulnerable, in a worse condition.
It makes my heart break.
And I'm so thankful to God that Jamie and I have survived as a couple.
And now the good news.
Or is it? *I* think it is, but the media have been portraying this as bad.
One in ten people in Britain attends church weekly! That's way more than I'd been led to believe and actually UP on this time 10 years ago. It's a fascinating article, so do read it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6520463.stm
We're always hearing how Britain is a 'post-christian' country but one in ten is amazing to me! I'd have thought it more like 1 in a hundred! The media LOVE to exaggerate the decline of christianity in this country! Also interesting was the fact that 53% of people in Britain still consider themselves to be 'christian'. Wow! That's still a majority. Again a surprising fact. I think there is much to be positive about in this report and lots for us to work with!
Praising God for the upward trend!
Saturday, April 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I found out something interesting which puts this into a slightly different context. Along with the decline in church attendance in this country, there has also been a decline in membership or attendance of other groups too - scouts and guides, women's institute, sports clubs, etc. So it seems that maybe we are living in a post-joining country.
Hi Jan,
Yes, I knew about that trend. I thought that had more to do with the lack of volunteers to run those sorts of organisations.
Why do you think we are less engaged as a society (post-joining)?
Dorothy
Post a Comment