You'd think it would get easier the older my kids get (and after 11 years of it), but actually it gets harder for me because, of course, *I'm* also getting older. And less nimble. And more slow-witted. And less able to multi-task. Actually, this post should probably go in the Decrepitude Chronicles.{g}
To look at the multi-tasking thing for a moment. When Grace was born 16 years ago, I was quite capable, for example, of carrying her to lull her to sleep, whilst vacuuming and moving furniture with my feet and talking to my husband. I could probably have written out a shopping list at the same time if I'd had an extra hand.
And yet today, when we had friends over for lunch, I found that I couldn't speak intelligently at the same time as dishing up dessert. That was just too much to concentrate on at once. The kids frequently take good advantage of my failing faculties by asking approval for things when I am typing on the computer. They know I will mumble, "Ummmmmmmmmm, what? OK....." Later, I will discover I've just agreed to 50 of Jack's closest friends being invited for dinner or the purchase of a motorcycle.
So, now that the annual round of curriculum deliberations is upon me, I find the thinking I'm having to do is almost painful. After years of going the Charlotte Masony, Living Literature, Sonlighty approach I am being forced to radically re-think the last few years of the kids' education. It's not working any more. Neither Grace or Jack are benefiting from my tried and trusted methods. In fact, they don't seem to enjoy reading any more (What?) and have each told me they are not interested in History so much now.
It's as if they only had room for so much Living Literature and History in their brains and now they are just full up. They want to be filled with other things now, things I don't feel so confident about providing. For Jack - Maths and Science and for Grace- Art and Music. I should have spotted their inclinations earlier, I suppose. So add guilt to the shock and confusion.
And now I have to research courses and textbooks and curricula which I've only overheard other people talking about. Most of them I can't actually SEE before purchasing too, which is difficult. I feel a bit like a complete beginner again. Except 11 years ago I had more brain cells and I still had the ability to multi-task.{g}
7 comments:
I'm right there with you Dorothy. I used to be able to multi task a zillion things at one time and now I can barely stay focused on any "one" thing at a given time. Things do change toward high school when kids discover what they'd like to study! Just wait until they come to YOU with the curriculum catalog and say these are the things I'd like to do this year... that's what happened to us this year! Actually.. it made life a lot easier.. Oldest dd chose her curriculum, I got out my credit card, the books arrived, she made her schedule and here we are ready to have her graduate in a few weeks!
I can relate. On all counts. And just imagine going back to those baby days and adding in the decrepitude factor ;).
Ugh! I'm right there too. Can't we just close our eyes, stick our fingers in our ears, while humming loudly and PRETEND everything is just the same?!?!!
Oh, Dorothy, can I join your decrepitude group? I find myself getting so frustrated when the kids are talking to me and I'm trying to do just one thing! It makes me very crumpy.
I'm sorry this is a tough time right now. At least the kids know what they want.
My biggest hurdle is dealing with a 10th grader and a pre-schooler...my mind is so confused!
Oh, but this is just one of the blessings of hsing. You can tweak and adjust to suit each of your children individually, and they wouldn't have this opportunity if they were at a public institution.
You've done a marvelous job filling up their heads with all sorts of stories and histories. They are wonderfully well rounded and will be able to use this core foundation that you've laid to be successful at their own personal interests.
They have been blessed with the knowledge and wisdom to have their own preferences, and much of that is a direct result of your being so in tune with their needs. Your awareness now and willingness to search out what will be a better fit testifies to that!
Curriculum choosing can be difficult all by itself so I'm sure it's not a sign of further decrepitude!
Dorothy - thanks for sharing the process with us. I know you are just thinking aloud but I enjoy sitting in and chatting with you. It so helps to read how other homeschooling moms work through significant things like curriculum decisions.
You are a blessing!
Post a Comment