Tuesday, April 10, 2007

An Oxfordshire Village

Monday was part of the 4-day Easter Weekend here in the UK, so Jamie and I nipped out for an hour or so to a car-boot sale. It was quite small and not much good for the books we were looking for so we decided to go to nearby village for a little look around.

This is what Oxfordshire looks like. Green, flat, lots of sheep gently grazing (white dots in the background) and hedgerows. The trees have not come back to life yet, but there are plenty of wild flowers and birdsong to keep the hope of summer alive.


We came to a ford, which is unusual! The farm on the left is building a huge barn out of timber. It is great to see traditional building methods still alive. We passed a couple of massive, very ugly metal storage barns along the way too. They really were a blight on the landscape.



Our Toyota crosses the ford. In the foreground is a staddle stone. You see them all over the countryside used decoratively now, but once, wooden grain-storage sheds sat on top of 4 of them. The shape was meant to discourage rats from climbing up and into the grain.



This beautiful house ahead was from the Victorian arts and crafts movement and gorgeous outside.



The village church. I almost expected to see a Jane Austen wedding going on inside.

Inside the porch, an Easter display. Most village churches are still open which amazes me. Many town churches have had to close when they aren't being used for services, due to vandalism. Inside it was lovingly maintained. It was clearly used a lot by the villagers.

These lilies are associated with death and Easter here. They are decorating the baptismal font just inside the church.

We found the weirdest gravestones in the churchyard. They were in the shape of the celtic cross, which is not so odd, but made of metal! They all dated between 1890's to the 1920's. I have never seen anything like them and have no idea why they were used.


And the village pump. It doesn't work, but it's nice that the villagers have maintained the look of this village, thatched pump roof and all.

9 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Down, down...discontent...I may have to quit reading your blog...it makes me really, really, really want to get an assignment to Europe and I think the AF is determined to keep us in TX. LOL

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the tour! I LOVE to travel so seeing your blog always makes me hope for a trip to Europe one of these days! I still remember the things places I visited years ago with my grandma and hope my kids will have an opportunity to go see some of the same places one day.

Jodi said...

Very beautiful pictures. Looks like a wonderful day out.

berrypatch said...

Wonderful photos! My hubby & I were able to go to England in 1998 to visit for a week. We were even able to do a drive through the countryside. It was so beautiful! We were even there right before Easter that year.

Kristine said...

I so love your photos. James Herriott has been a long time favorite author of mine, and I can just totally picture him driving along in his little car on these exact same country roads. Thank you for bringing us along!

Yvonne said...

D~ I love your blog. I wish you'd put the washing line poem back on though. It made me laugh...and I needed that! ~Yvonne

Romany said...

Ooops, Yvonne, I hadn't realised it had made an unauthorized appearance. I thought it was in drafts. I need to add a photo.

I'm glad it made you laugh. It made me giggle hysterically. Mostly, I was wondering if anyone might take it seriously!

Dorothy

Emily said...

Love your photo's of beautiful England. Carlos and I were just talking the other night about seriously planning a trip back there soon!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are outstanding. I had the pleasure and privilege of living in Yorkshire Country for several years and it was the best time of my life. I really enjoy your post.