Thursday, April 12, 2007

I Love My Washing Line

I love my washing line.

In one place we lived, in Canada, hanging laundry outside was forbidden. Perhaps there are Canadian gentlemen who don't yet know that women wear knickers. But my babies wore beautiful white nappies (diapers) and those dipies hated being in the hot tumble drier. They longed for the freedom of the open skies and sunshine. I used to furtively hang them on a rack in our enclosed patio, where they were safe from the laundry police.

Now, we live in the Island of Fluttering Laundry, where gardens are so small we are all treated to the sight of eachothers' intimate clothing on a daily basis. I love it. I love taking in a duvet cover from the line and putting it on my bed and smelling the freshness on it it in bed that night. I love drying my unmentionables (used on a monthly basis) in the open air. I adored my babies' bottoms when clad in soft fluffy cotton, dried in the blossom-scented open. (Cue Elgar's anthem 'Land of Hope and Glory' at this point.)

Aaaah, I could write a poem.
Yes.
I could.
And I think I will.
Don't try to stop me.

Ode to My Washing Line
**********************
Washing, waving to me on the line,
my laundry liberated
from the firey hell of the drier.

Flutter freely
in your airy ecstasy.
I will smell you later,
and drink deep draughts of spring.

One thing I ask of you, my fluttering fancy-things.
Try not to get pooped on by the chattering starlings.



What? No knickers?

As if I'd blog them.

8 comments:

Kristine said...

LOL, cute post!

Jan said...

I love hanging out the washing on the line too. I think this will be the last summer of hanging out those terry squares for me though, which does cause me a curious nostalgic pang.

Debbie said...

Love your ode! I also love my line and can't wait for the snow and/or rain to stop long enough to start using it again!

PS-Blogger hasn't been letting me comment, but I am reading and enjoying! :-)

Fifi said...

I love your blog!
We are both nominated for the "best geographical blog" award....... so that's how I found you, and I am so glad I did!
I have a deep love for England.
Hubby and I courted there, so we both have some beautiful memories of Surrey. I am going to add you to my friend list, as I have to visit you again.

Jodi said...

snort and splutter. yes funniest blog would suit you well! You're good at showing off your little part of the world but your humor is the best part of reading.

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
That's just TOO FUNNY! We used to have a clothes line, but we took it down a few years ago.

The Bookworm said...

I'm a washing line fan too. I finally freecycled our non-functioning tumble dryer after taking a year not to get it fixed (amazing what you can freecycle!)

Emily said...

I always love how our clothes smell when they are line dried outside!
I love your blog too!