Apparently, I need botox injections.{g}
Three times in the last month, different people have complained about my face. Not always *to* my face, either. I've heard from others that my 'face was like thunder' or that I looked 'horrified'. And one friend told me I looked angry during a conversation I had with her.
This is quite baffling to me as I wasn't angry or horrified on any of these occasions. I'm sad that I must have a face that 'looks like thunder'. Last night, I sat down in front of a lighted mirror to cooly evaluate my 50 year old face.
Well, it's not great.
Gravity has taken its toll. I have open pores and acne scars and wrinkles. My eyes have lost their upward slants and are heavy lidded now. If I lie on my back, my face looks more like I remember it. And if I lean forward and tuck the mirror underneath me, I have a scary glimpse into my face's future.{g}
I turn sideways and then I notice them. Three lines down between what's left of my eyebrows. (Overplucking during teenage years!) Ugh! In a certain light, they make me look cross. Even when I'm SMILING. Oh no! This is really depressing.
I guess it's a childhood of being frightened and confused, all the years in my twenties of squinting in strong sunlight and the years of worrying in my thirties, and all the years of attempting to read small print, (before realising I needed reading glasses) in my forties, all catching up with me. That must be it, because I'm not an angry, horrified type of person. But my face has a permanent frown now.
What can I do? Don't worry, I'm not seriously considering botox. But people judge your character from your facial expressions.
I really don't like getting older.
The only thing I can think of to rescue myself from this sad realisation is to remember that my husband loves my face. He kisses it and everything! {g} He calls me his Babe. (Weird man.) He even tells me I'm beautiful.
And that reminds me of someone who loves me even more than Jamie does. Someone who doesn't care about my facial expressions, who only sees my soul. Someone who loved me so much he was prepared to die for me, even the ignominious, painful death of a criminal, on a cross.
As my furrowed brow continues to alarm my friends and as I'm seemingly unable to prevent false impressions of my true feelings, I know the future may be difficult. But, even as I slide deeper into Decrepitude and the Mentalpause, I have a wonderful Saviour who knows me inside out.
And still loves me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Oh my goodness, you have summed up exactly what I think of my face too...along with God's thoughts about my face. I praise Him with you for knowing us on the inside. And I never look down into a mirror. LOL ~Yvonne
Dorothy,
My face is about the same and it's au naturale all the time because the only makeup I own is a Cherry Chapstick. But like you my dh loves me and so does God.
Dorothy,
You have SUCH a WONDERFUL way with words! I don't like getting older either!
Dorothy, thank you so much for your wit and humor.
One major advantage of the internet, we don't have to look at each other when we talk and we just see the beauty that comes in your words.
I must admit to dislikely this aging business, but my other always says, it beats the alternative. Some days I'm not too sure! :-p
This is an awesome post, Dorothy! Thank you.
Well said. My hubby knows exactly what you mean about physical effects making expressions inconsistent with intent. Maybe those facial exercises might help? This was suggested to DH
Susan
I found it strange that people would comment on other people's faces, even if it wasn't to their face, LOL. Well anyway I'm sure it is not horrifying or any such thing but there is always that make- up they go on and on about on SHS if you really wanted to try something.
Why be horrifying when you can be "well rested" in three easy payments, snort.
As I began reading your post, I was reminded, in a horrifying way, of what I look like when I look upside down into a mirror. No textbook could ever teach the concept of gravity so well. We won't EVEN talk about the REST of our bodies, lol.
I have skinny little overplucked eyebrows too.
The only bad thing about my new gyn office is that they are "now offering minor cosmetic procedures." Sorry, but YUCK. I think I'll mention how sad that is next time they "offer."
And besides, Botox just erases all facial expression along with anything else.
Great post.
Jodi! You ARE funny! LOL! They didn't say my face looked horrifYING (or horrific, thankfully) just that I appeared horrifIED. Slightly different. I hope.
If they thought I looked horrifying, I would definitely get a second mortgage to import that BE make-up! {g}
I was going to make a naughty comment about Jamie using the capital B when he called you Babe, but then you went all serious and made such a wonderfully good point about our Saviour's love for us, as we are, horrified faces and all (mine is more often construed as poorly than cross. 'Are you alright?' people ask. In what way, I wonder?!)that I decided I'd better be good, and erase all mention of sheep pigs from my comment ......
Jackie
trying to comment as anonymous, as your blog does not like my blogger id!
Well, I DO look like a sheep when I comment on YOUR blog, Jackie! {g}
Updated it yet? I'm on the wrong computer (mine died) so I can't visit anyone who doesn't leave me their blog address here somehow.
Sorry that I replaced horrified with horrifying. Must be things like this which got me a Junior High reading level on my blog. LOL
Post a Comment