I got this recipe from a leaflet I found in a health food store in Harrow, London in 1984.{g} Rose Elliot's recipes were a blessing to me in the 1970's and 80's.

Rose Elliot's White Christmas Nutmeat
Ingredients
nutmeat
1 oz/30g butter
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 lb/500g finely chopped white nuts (I use unsalted cashews, flaked almonds and pine-nuts, mixed)
8 oz white breadcrumbs (cut off the crusts so you get a nice white nutmeat)
1 pint/600ml light vegetable stock or milk
1 oz/30g butter
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 lb/500g finely chopped white nuts (I use unsalted cashews, flaked almonds and pine-nuts, mixed)
8 oz white breadcrumbs (cut off the crusts so you get a nice white nutmeat)
1 pint/600ml light vegetable stock or milk
2 heaped tablespoons flour
salt and white pepper
salt and white pepper
a little grated nutmeg
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 egg whites (optional)
Stuffing
6oz/175g wholewheat breadcrumbs
3oz butter,
1 small grated onion,
4-6 heaped tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 heaped teaspoon mixed herbs.
1-2 egg yolks (optional)
Heat oven to 190C/375F or gas mark 5.
Heat oven to 190C/375F or gas mark 5.
Grease, line with baking paper and grease again, a 2lb loaf tin (or 2 1lb tins). Melt the butter and fry your chopped onion in this until tender but not brown (about 10 mins). Remove from the heat. Sprinkle in the four.
Grind nuts in food processor with bread, add to the onion with stock. Mix well. Season to taste. Set aside.
For the stuffing, mix together the ingredients. Put half of your nut mixture in the loaf tin and even it out. Layer your stuffing on top. Firm it as you go. Then finish with the remaining nut mixture.
Dot with butter. Lay a small sheet of baking paper over the top to help prevent scorching during baking. Bake for approx 60 mins but check after 40 mins or so that it's not scorching, until just light brown.
Leave to cool for a couple of minutes then turn out. Peel off the lining paper carefully and turn out onto a warmed plate.
I make this in advance and it freezes well. In fact, I usually save half for Jamie's birthday in January and it's fine then.
1 comment:
I'm behind in my blog reading and have been attempting to catch up. And for the third time I read the phrase "bread sauce." Being a Yank and all, I'm cluess. What in the world is "bread sauce?"
Post a Comment