This is a Scottish version of mashed potato. It's also a great way to get kids to eat cabbage! I'm all about stealth nutrition.
Potatoes may have many varieties but they all come into two main categories: floury, which are great for baking, mashing and roasting and waxy, which are perfect for staying whole, boiling, and salads. For this recipe, we need the floury type. Measurements are inexact.
Rumbledethumps
2 lbs floury potatoes , peeled and cut into chunks.
1 lb white cabbage cut up roughly
1/4 pint milk
2-3 ozs butter
2 ozs cheese
salt
freshly ground black pepper
Cook the potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
In a separate pan cook the cabbage for 10 mins or so until tender. Drain and finely chop.
Bring the milk to the boil.
Pour the milk onto the potatoes and mash until smooth, but don't whisk.
Add the cabbage and the butter and combine thoroughly. Season well.
Transfer to shallow ovenproof dish, top with grated cheese.
Place under a preheated grill or in the oven until the top is golden brown.
Serve immediately.
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
LOL! Love the name.
Oh my gosh, when I saw the title of this post I thought surely it was going to have to do scrumpdillyumptiousness.
Rumbledethumps sounds like a good name for my thighs! ROTFLOL ~Yvonne
Yvonne!!!{lol!}
Perhaps you thought it was an unfortunate symptom of the Mentalpause that I was experiencing?{vbg}
LOL I LOVE the name!
I came up with something similar (minus the cheese) a few years ago - but I didn't tell anyone what it was and referred to it in the recesses of my mind as "sneaky cabbage". I'm a natural for Europe....I am...I am...
What a fun name and looks like a great recipe too!
LOL about Yvonne's comment - rumbledewhatevers and hips (LOL)!
Thats a new one to me. I don't think my hubby's relations have made that one around me. Now that you have generously supplied the recipe, I may have to give it a go one of these days. Sounds tasty!
Susan :)
I've made something very similar, Irish I think, with the mashed potatoes and cabbage. It was excellent!
Kristine, that would be Colcannon. It has spring onions in it and I use green cabbage for that one. Rumbledethumps works best with white.
The Celts were fond of their cabbages! {g}
Post a Comment