My kids have many strengths thank you very much, but taking part in serious discussions or delivering talks or speeches is definitely a weakness. Why is that? I hear you ask. That'll be because they suffer from the family sense of humour and they find it hard to take things seriously, sometimes. Especially when with a group of their peers. This is why Jack failed so badly at a task he had to complete for his ASDAN portfolio: discussing a piece of his own art work in a small group. Let's just say, this was not his Finest Hour.
We had another couple of ASDAN tasks to complete. The kids had to invite friends for 'tea' and handle the whole thing themselves. Invitations, food, drinks, the social side of hospitality, keeping the conversation going, making them feel special etc.
They also had to 'Give an illustrated talk on a subject of their own choosing to a group of their peers.'
And here is Jack ALMOST being serious about pouring the tea.
Grace is delivering her talk. Her friends look just fascinated, don't they? I think they were more worried at this point as they knew THEY were up next. Grace chose her specialist subject: modern christian music.
And Jack regaled us with an almost serious lecture on the Apple company and its products. He is half way to saving enough money for an ipod video, but is now coveting the new iphone. Dream on son.
Grace is such a good hostess. She wanted to wear her grandmother's pinny. Isn't it sweet? Notice the doilie? Was this a posh tea or WHAT?

That's me succeeding in being almost serious. I'm relieved that two more challenges for their portfolios have been successfully completed!
6 comments:
What is ASDAN?
Hi Linda, it's a nationally recognised qualification based on a portfolio of evidence of the completion of practical challenges. When they are done, it will give them an equivalent to a 'B' grade at GCSE level. That won't mean anything to you, but it all helps us poor British HE'ers who don't have the same SAT system you do for getting into college/university. It is MUCH harder for us.
I had a pediatrician friend about 10 years ago whose dad was military (I think). Anyway, he spent a lot of time in boarding schools in Britain. He did talk about how much more rigorous the school program was. After that, I had a student when I was teaching middle school who had done some middle grades (6-8 for us) over there. I saw his "transcript". Wow! Certainly more rigorous courses than our middle schoolers were taking! Thanks for the info. Interesting as always.
Well, it's easy to see where Jack gets his serious nature from, lol.
Apple Computer was started in the next town over from me. I grew up in San Jose. My mom lives right down the street from the Apple complex. As you can imagine, Jobs' and Wozniak's garage invention is legendary in Silicon Valley!
Who wants to be serious anyway! I think I'd fail that class.LOL I was always the class clown.
My old (poor) memory doesn't remember what the ADSAN thing is, but I'm glad you've completed 2 more projects! I don't think my ds would be too thrilled to have to host a tea party (LOL)!
Post a Comment