Sigh....I need to process something. Here is as good a place as any. Maybe some of my silent readers can tell me if we're on the right track here.
Grace loves to draw. Her drawings are good. Almost too good. They accurately reproduce what she is copying, usually photos of people. We used to think, that's a nice hobby! Since the ASD diagnosis, we now realise that this is a very typical autistic preoccupation. In copying every detail, she is finding a way to control her world, which otherwise is so unpredictable and confusing to her. Other kids with ASD might do this by hand-flapping, head-banging, lining toys up in a precise order and with mathematical regimentality, regular routines which become obsessive coping strategies.
For a long time, we used to just think the drawing was something 'nice' which she used to do for hours in her bedroom, and was desperate to get back to after coming in from being with other people or out 'in the world'. It helped to calm her and she enjoyed it. But now, we are starting to think it has all the makings of a serious OCD activity.
We used to marvel at her persistence! She can work for hours on a single drawing without a break. What dedication, we thought. Until we found out about 'perseveration'. This is what people with frontal lobe damage do, keep going at something unable to stop themselves. We are wondering if this is what we are dealing with: not wonderful perseverance, but dreadful perseveration. But she has had a brain MRI and we were told it was 'normal'.
Since we stopped our usual weekly routine a week ago and dropped all our activities and school work for the Christmas holiday, Grace has been FEROCIOUSLY drawing, holed up in her room all day (if we are at home) and when we call her down to play, eat, complete a chore from her list, or just to hang out with us, she is angry at being disturbed, stomps around sulkily and altogether acts as though she would rather not have a family at all.
I've snuck up stairs and knocked quickly and leapt into her room to make sure that she was indeed drawing, not doing anything she shouldn't, anything wrong or destructive. Indeed, there she is, clamped to her desk, wearing holes in the paper with her furious pencil drawings.
Jamie and I have wondered whether this is just a slightly extreme version of normal teenage development. The desire for privacy, the compulsive need to perfect something, the irritation at being disturbed by your family. We can both remember wanting to be alone as teens. I had 4 younger brothers and sisters in our small home, driving me mad. I would play me records over and over again and sing along with my hairbrush as a microphone, watching myself in the mirror. I wonder if my parents ever worried about ME?
But I didn't have autism.
So, now where are we? Last night we talked to her and explained our fears. We didn't tell her, but I am actually concerned she might be developing OCD, which is so often co-morbid with ASD. She recognises there is a problem: she says she is 'addicted' to drawing. We suggested that what she needed was a day away from it and a chance to re-connect with us, to remember how to hang out and have fun with her family. So, today, she is not going to be allowed to be alone in her room, and we will see how things go. She cried about that but realised we were trying to help.
Can you prevent OCD from starting? Can you divert an ASD teen from developing peculiar obsessional thinking and behaviour? I have no idea if what we are going to try is the right thing or not. I'm scared for her though.
Sunday, December 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Dorothy...Two thoughts. God created your daughter exactly as she should be. He is sovereign...even with health and illness, the latter being due to the fall of man into sin. You can trust Him, as I'm sure you already do.
The second thought is this: Does Grace feel captive to her drawing? Is she angry that she cannot break away from it...or is she angry that you make her break away from it? I imagine Mozart, Michaelangelo and Einstein, among others...were all angry when forced to come away from something they were intently focused upon. Many artists and scientists were considered autistic or unsocial people. Think about that. They mosied along in life...but perhaps were considered odd, eccentric, etc...
Now as a young Christian woman, your daughter has a wonderful talent, it appears. But she also has a responsibility to answer God's call to love people. How does one love others? By caring for them, spending time with them, doing, sharing, etc... We all have obstacles to overcome. One of Grace's is to overcome her autism. God will help you disciple her...in fact, it seems He is already doing so! (You know it's not healthy to be holed up in a room alone for all hours, and so you are requiring more of her.) You are doing the healthy thing by helping her make personal connections today.
But don't fear her predisposition to be alone, drawing, either. You never know what God will bring out of those hours alone. And overall, God may use Grace's autism to His glory. He tends to do that with weaknesses, you know!
(((Hugs)))~Yvonne
I don't know which it is or isn't and as I don't quite have a teen yet, and don't know your dd no suggetsions.
I will say that Trevor has a thing too and it is working with clay. He has done this since he was very young. It is both a creative outlet to him and also a coping strategy. I never thought to stop him. Sometimes he has a piece of clay with him no matter where he goes so he can use it if he wants to or needs to.
There is clay in his Christmas stocking, I buy clay every time I pass some in the shop. It's just his thing, I never thought too much about it. Guess you've given me food for thought!
Oh and when he doesn't have clay and feel off he rocks and he did so while shopping last night so I guess I'd rather have him play with clay in his hand! You've really done well researching autism so well in just a couple years. This has been with us as a real thing far longer and I'm still learning.
I so appreciate both your comments and I've been thinking about what you've both said a lot the last couple of days.
Yesterday, the day of rationed alone-time and no drawing, went well. She seemed more relaxed and happy. She chatted with us more. ASD kids are noted for their lack of any kind of spontaneous, generous, communication which is not about their need. We've been working so hard to develop that kind of chat and it's hard to do when they are in their room all day! {g}
I thought she'd find it more stressful but she didn't. So, I'm thinking she just needs some help in moderating the extremeness of her behaviour sometimes.
But it would be very helpful to talk to her neuro-psych again. Because although I have researched a lot, I do need more info.
Dorothy
Dorothy, I'm praying right now for wisdom and discernment for you and Jamie.
Wow, Dorothy, there really are so many facets to ASD. Good for you at doing so much research and trying to find out what is best for Grace. God will honor that. I'll be praying for Grace and you as you help your dd be the best person she can be for God.
Post a Comment