Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Mint Spies and the Late Shift




The Advent Wreath the kids made today. I wonder if my photography skills will ever improve?



Jack still loves to watch the days get nearer to Christmas with this Advent Tree we've had since he was a baby!





Jamie is working weird hours at the moment which means he's here for lunch and we have our main meal then. But he's not here in the evening. I don't think I like this routine much because I miss him in the evening but it's only one week out of four. Grace complained that she misses our 'family time'.

The advantage of this way round though, is that he can teach Grace and Jack their MATHS!!!!!! This is a win/win situation. They love it! He also managed to fix the roof with some sort of sticky gunk, so no puddles in the 'conservatory' any more.

I made this Christmas' first batch of 'mint spies' as they are known in my house. Mince Pies the rest of the world calls them. They are a very British tradition, little individual tartlets made with mincemeat, which doesn't have anything to do with meat any more, though centuries ago it did. The filling is usually made of apples, spices, dried fruit, sugar and sometimes brandy. I used to make my own but had no time this year. Dust with icing sugar and we're off, into the Christmas season.
We wanted to read Bartholemew's Passage this year as we have read Jotham's Journey and Tabitha's Travels quite a bit now and needed a change of Advent book. But the books are out of print, so an email friend of mine, sweet lady, has sent me her copy. We started today and are almost caught up with that!

This afternoon we were at our Keeper's/Contenders group making Advent Wreaths. I was leading the session. We all brought much greenery: holly, ivy and anything which still has leaves on, arranged it into florists' foam (oasis). Then the candles are poked in: 3 purple, 1 pink, 1 white for Christmas Day. A pretty ribbon and Voila!

These sessions are always so busy, lots of children of all ages, toddlers running around, people asking questions. I love it, but I do find it tiring. I guess I'm not used to that level of noise and apparent confusion any more! Oh, what am I talking about? Right now, Grace is singing along to a Nicole Nordman cd, whilst Jack plays electric guitar in his room. It's not exactly quiet around these parts!

But for now, I am so tired...time to put my feet up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We read Bartholomew's Passage last year ... you could have borrowed my copy too ;). I obviously got in just in time before it went out of print.

Anonymous said...

You mean to tell me they are just as noisy when they're teenagers? here I was hoping all would be quiet here in around 6 or 7 years, LOL.

The advent wreathes sound very nice as do the mint spies!

Anonymous said...

I haven't forgotten your e-mail, I'm just behind in those! I'm keeping up with blogs though (grin).

Love the cute Mint Spies name! After reading all three of the Advent books over the past few years, we began Jotham's Journey again yesterday. I like that book so much!

Anonymous said...

Jodi, they are NOT much quieter when they are young adults... I even think their toys are LOUDER - stereos and electric guitars come to mind. (LOL).

Dorothy, did you get any pics of your mincemeat things? Can you believe that someone just asked me the other day if I've ever made mincemeat pies and I haven't. Maybe you should post the recipe so I can give it a try!