
We had a really good day.
Last week, Jamie was working the late shift so we didn't see too much of him. We knew that for the next two weeks most available spare time will be spent rehearsing for and playing in various church services. So, we took the morning off church to re-connect at home and laze around.
I wish I could think of a good solution to the 'working on Sunday' problem. When we are involved at church in the music ministry or creche (which is most weeks), we all get there at 8.30 and are rarely home before 1.00. Grace has her small group in the afternoon, so we are out driving her there and back and then straight off to the Oxford church in the evening because we need it. But, there is nowhere in all this activity to REST!
It can't be Saturday that's our day of rest because that's even more frantic, doing work that can't be done during the working/school week. It just seems we don't get a day of rest EVER, unless we just don't turn up at morning church, which always makes me feel uneasy.
Add to that, the feeling I have sometimes, that what we do in our morning church isn't even as meaningful as what we do at our home Shabbat meal, and I end up wondering what the point of it all is. But, God has not called us OUT of that fellowship. He has called us to serve it, hard though that is at times, as difficult as it is to fellowship with many of the people for one reason or another, and no matter how chaotic and idiocentric the leadership, that is where God wants us at the moment or He would have made it clear. That we know.
However, yesterday morning we stayed home and talked and relaxed and listened to K-Love (Positive, Encouraging K-Love!{g}) via the internet. The kids got some Daddy time each. And I got a meal ready for a welcome visit from our friend S who is leaving the UK on Friday to re-join his family in Washington DC.
We had a lovely time. Unlike a lot of husbands of friends I have, S is very chatty, articulate and sociable. Much like Jamie actually, so we appreciate that. He told us all some great stories of when he was flying fast jets and about his new job at the Pentagon.
Our friend W arrived and we all took 2 cars off the church in Oxford together. I can't tell how much I enjoy worshipping together with friends. It definitely seems to cement bonds of friendship. The moment we started singing and I knew that we were worshipping the same Saviour together, I felt a thrill of joy and a little glimpse of the peaceable Kingdom in which ALL will bow the knee to Jesus and there will be no more wars or pain or death.
Having prayed for S, we said goodbye, which is never really goodbye among christians, and weaved our way homeward through the city lashed by wind and rain.
Yes, a really good day.
5 comments:
Dearest S- Family-
Thanks for a wonderful last Sabbath Sunday in the UK, at least for a few months! You are a special family, and have blessed us greatly. Wish my whole could have hugged on you one last time. Here's to a future sweet reunion!
Cheers-
S-
Dorothy,
When you find the time to rest let me know where you find it. My dh and I are also busy with worship team and practices.... extra ones this holiday season. We are in a "small group" which meets on Sunday afternoon... so we leave our house at 7:00 a.m. and don't arrive home again until 4:00 p.m. and sometimes 5:00 or 6:00 if we have to get groceries. It's a VERY LONG weekend which starts mid afternoon on Sat since we also have Sat night service in addition to the 2 Sunday ones. We have also had to stay home a few weekends when we're "off" just to try to get caught up before the next time we're "on."
Wow! Sounds like you are busy but in a good way. I am usually drained by Sunday evening. I would like to sleep in just one day but I don't see that happening in the near future :-) Loved the pictures of your mince meat pies. I always wondered how to make those.
The only thing which comes to mind is maybe you could somehow clear one Sunday a month as family day instead of church day? You'd have that rest day to look forward to each month. Yet with teens in their groups too I suppose that's next to impossible.
Dorothy, love seeing a pic of you and Jamie!
Post a Comment