Potted Cheese
***********
2 eggs
200g/7 ozs strong hard cheese or mixed cheeses, grated (I usually use a combination of strong English or Canadian Cheddar and Cheshire cheeses)
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons mustard ( I use either prepared English mustard or Dijon)
4 Tablespoons single cream
pinch of cayenne
salt to taste
melted (clarified, if you can be bothered) butter
Beat the eggs until they become liquid.
Mix together the cheese, butter, mustard, cream, cayenne and salt to taste.
Place into a pan and heat to simmering point slowly.
Add the beaten eggs and cook gently, using a whisk, until the mixture thickens.
Pour into chilled container or small pots. Cool quickly. Cover with melted butter to seal. Leave to set and cover with clingfilm or foil.
Will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
Serve with melba toast or crackers.
We like this so I always double the recipe. I only make it at Christmas as it's just one of our Christmas traditions. Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment